Mormon History, Oct 11, 1847

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 11th We travled 10 miles & camped on the Platt above the Junktion at 3 oclok I went to the Bluff after some Buffalo. I got into A large Herd & shot a Cow but did not fall but went off with the Herd.
In returning to camp darkness overtook me. I Could not see the Camp so I made for the river. I had to waid through swails for 20 rods nearly to my hips in mud & water. I passed through the mier of plenty of ducks gees swan & wolves. I saw one animal of the Cat kind which I took to be a links.
I struck the platt 4 miles below camp & got in weary Hungry & weary & learned that Br Egbert had killed a Cow & Calf at the Bluffs & a company had gone after them & Could not find the camp. Had like myself to wallow through the swails. We had to raise lights on poles to light them in. One got lost & did not get in untill 10 oclok. 10 m.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment