Mormon History, Jun 20, 1847

[Hosea Stout Diary] Sunday June 20th 1847. Went out with 6 men.
At meeting today Hyde preached his celebrated bogus sermon, denouncing all bogus makers, counterfeiters thieves &c & commanding all such & all who knew of any such to come forth with and tell him & also absolved them from all former acts and covenants to keep secrets.
This made quite a stir & caused some to "confess their sins"
I attended the council in the evening. This was a lively timewe had one or two trials about cattle taken from the corn fields[.] S. C. Bolton for one
When I came to the council they were rasping away about my not going on west some casting implecations about for me it &c.
President Morley seemed to sencure me, the hardest but wound up saying that perhaps I had reasons for doing as I did but he would not (do it for [crossed out]) have done it for kingdoms.
He also at the Elk Horne instituted the inquiry what I had been about as if he did not know & also here said he did not know why.
I obtained leave of the council to speak & let off my feeling uncommonly plain denouncing the course that had been taken with me by the authorities & held up the way they had departed from Brighams instructions to the gaze of all present and denied Morleys position of not knoing what I had been at as he and every body here knew very well. No pretended to say anything against me when I was through & so I stood justified[.] The matter was then talked over & Hyde proposed to me, to take 10 men as a guard and overtake the camp yet to which I agreed but after many proposals Hyde finally decided for me to stay here as I was need here & let them do with out who neglected me.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment