Mormon History, Jun 10, 1847

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 10th In company with G. A. Smith I went forward to A large creek 8 3/4 miles from our Camping place. Here we overtook the Mo Company. They were about 4 miles from our camp. We nooned upon this creek. In the Afternoon we reached the platt river & camped upon a cleer creek. 9 miles. Whole distance of the day 17 3/4.
I examined A splendid grind stone queyry on the east side of the road as it leaves the Hills & strikes the platt. It was 30 rods long above the ground & could readily be got at. The grit was fine & nise.
The Hunters brought in two Antilope. We have good feed & our Horses & Cattle are gaining. In the afternoon Presidents Young & Kimball rode with us. Our det[..] had company. Camped last night with the fore most company & we have not herd from them since.
Br Carrington found A vary extensive coal bed in this creek. One layer of about 10 feet thick another 4 feet. Length not known but was examined for 20 rods or more. The specemins of Coal produced wer excellent.
The Twelve walked on to the river bank examined the river, feed, &c had prayers & returned.
At the blowing of the Horn I did not feel much like retiring to bed so I walked 1/2 a mile from the camp on the bank of Deer Creek & found Br Clayton fishing with a hook. He Had caught about two dozen good fish. Another Br Harmon had caught some. They resembled the eastern Herrin. They were about to leave & they left their lines for me to fish with so I Sat down for half an hour musing alone as unconcerned as though I had been sitting upon the banks of Farmington river.
Vary suddenly I herd A rustling in the bushes near me & for the first time the thought flashed across my mind that I was in A country Abounding with the griselly bear wolves & Indians And was liable to be attacked by either of them at any moment & was half a mile from any Company & had no weapon not even enough to have defend myself against A Badger & I thought wisdom dictated for me to return to camp so I took up my polls & fish & walked leasurely home & retired to rest which Closed the business of the day.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment