Mormon History, Aug 26, 1846

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 26th Rode to the Mo River & crossed the ferry. Two of the Omahas were with us to the cold spring. Shot there steel pointed arrows to divert us. We dined at Peter Haws on the way. At the Cold Springs I saw Br E Snow & several families.
From there we rode to the Camp of Israel. On the way we were in sight of the Omahas village or lodges which was quite A pleasant sight. We carried home to our families some vegitables. I found the camp on my return much improved in there health.
I also found an evil in the camp. A man by the name of Daniel (or John) Barnum not A member of the Church but A wicked man had joined with other young men And was spending there time nights in fiddleing & dancing And afterwards leading away young women into folley evil & wickedness. And Among others I found that Caroline Barton & Sarah Brown had been lead away by him & been with them At late hours of the night. As they were members of my family I forbid there going out any more with them on penalty of leaving my house. But they still continued to go out. 30 m.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment