Mormon History, Aug 16, 1846. Sunday.

[William Clayton Journal] Since Wednesday have scarcely even been out of bed, but kept with raging fever all the time. Twice Heber [Kimball] has rebuked my fever but it has returned. Through the fears and persuasion of my family I have taken some pills and medicine given by Dr. Sprague, but seem to grow worse all the time. Today I have been very sick all day. Towards evening my folks concluded to get me out of the wagon into the tent where they had prepared a bed. Soon after I got into the tent President Young, Dr. Richards, G. A. Smith, O. Pratt, Lorenzo Young and others called to see me. When they had been in a few moments President Young called O. P. Rockwell into the tent and the feelings we had on seeing him cannot be described. He has been in prison some time but when his trial came on there was no one to accuse him and the judge discharged him. The brethren all laid hands on me and rebuked my disease in the name of the Lord President Young being mouth. I immediately felt easier and slept well all night being the first sleep I had had of any account for three days and nights . . .

[George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://amzn.to/william-clayton]

No comments:

Post a Comment