Mormon History, Jan 23, 1846

[Hosea Stout Diary] Friday Jany 23 1846. This morning I came to the Temple at seven oclock and found all well and met the guard at Eight and a half oclock and regulated it for the day and then had an interview with Br F. R. Tower as mentioned last night.He informed how the mob intended to opperate but I shall not relate it now for I will see how they come out in their plansHe let me know that they had singled me out as an object of their revenge and was determined to take my life.They are also now trying to hire some daring person to secretly assassinate some of the Twelve.They have also some spies here who gives them news every dayAfter he had made his report he also made it to Prest B. Young H. C. Kimball & A. Lyman & some of my company.I still remained at the Temple and about one oclock Hunter & I went to my house and saw how matters were there (and also to notify my wife to be ready to go to the Temple to recieve our anointing sealing & further endowment but [crossed out]) [three lines blank]
We then came back to the Temple & I remained there till three & met the guard and regulated it for the night and then went home again (to prepare as above but found matters no better [crossed out]) I came to the Temple again and remained there all night

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment