Mormon History, Jan 21, 1846

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 21st {Farewell} I took breakfast with Br & Sister Enion. Crossed the river Mercy to our office At Stanley buildings Bath st. Liverpool And As this was the last day I was to spend on shore before going on board of the ship I was determined to make A final settlement of my affairs in some way An event I have found hard to Accomplish as Elders Hedlock And Ward have had so much business of there own they have done but little to assist me in the settelment of mine And what they should have done has been put off untill the last minute which has made it vary hard upon me As I have had to pull alone & none to help. ... the following is a true Account of the state of things in which I left the printing department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Liverpool. ...
After regulating these Accounts And writing A peace for the Star As An farewell Address All in the midst of A Hurricane of business I bid farewell to Elders Heallock, Ward, Wilson And All others concerned And in company with Elder Joseph Albert Stratton I went on board of the Packet Ship Ashbur-ton of the Swallowtail line 1,150 tons. Capt Wm. Howland 1st Mate Mr Williams 2d Mate Wm. Drummond with 4 cabin passengers 22 second cabin passengers & about 50 steerage passengers. We had a state room in 2d Cabin at mid ship oposite the main mast. Fare £4 pound each All bound for New York. Elder Strat-ton & myself occupied the lower berth in the state room & Mr John Hastings Plesant Valley Dutchess Co. N York An Irishman occupied the upper birth with A man by the name of Cox. We spent most of the day regulating our baggage And getting ready for sea. The ship remained in dock over night & we lay on board. I lay upon a straw bed some damp & with the wind from the Hatchess I took quite A cold. Thus ended one of my Hurried disagreeable day.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment