Mormon History, May 27, 1849

[Brigham Young Sermon] I want to make an application of his discourse - he has not told what he wishes to although he has preached first rate - With regard to trials and tribulations and glory and eternal lives - we want the brethren should build the fence around the big field this week and next - that is the great and good and excellency and present salvation, be careful we save ourselves this season - its my own application also - he could not contain himself yesterday for zeal - they stretched themselves last season but had no catch - there is more land in that field and in this city to be cultivated than could be done by the people and yet they want to stretch forty miles north and forty miles south and ten miles west - I want you to save yourselves first temporally - we are in the temporalities now - if I am not a saint this morning I never shall, or expect to be - there is not a man that confesses his weakness all the time - I feel small - there is not an elder of Israel that feels his weakness more than I do - Brother Snow has no meanness to confess - Elders of Israel let me say to you if you do not attend to the works of today you may bid farewell to eternity - if a brother has wronged or slandered his brother let him confess and restore - and then he may expect to be forgiven by the Almighty - if I cant preach enough, I'll get Brother Snow and Jeddediah M. Grant to help me - if I tell it right all the time do as I tell you - walk humbly before your God - attend to your duties until it is calm - and when his labor is to save his life the Lord will help him - let every man and woman live that when they are on a sick bed they have no repentance - are ready to go or stay - live or be sick - or rise up - all is well - all mankind have to battle the influence of satan - I could not have dictated better than the Almighty has let us - have not his arms led us all the time - is not the wisdom of God that has been with us - the Lord knows how to dictate the weather - the snow storms etc its all just right - I rejoice when we see the cold weather - I would to God it would scatter all hypocrites out of this valley - but we must have some black sheep - the invisible hand of God has been over us and to prepare the wicked for their just due - Now O Elders of Israel to the canyons for your poles to fence - we have started some for the gold mines and Brother Rich to the Pacific - but the first mission to you Elders of Israel not to your tents or the nations - but to the canyons - I give liberty to every man and woman to travel in the roads through the big field - no man has a right to plow up the roads - again who has seen me send a team to the canyons on the Sabbath - I wish the Sabbath kept - where's the women that cooks her victuals on the Sabbath, we would not make a fire, or life a stick of wood - the law of the Jews was so strict and absolute that they dare not meet on the Sabbath - they actually met on the first day of the week - my Sabbath is every day I live - every man woman horse and ox should rest one seventh time - its a day of rest that the people do not labor themselves to death - when you have labored thus six years then let every foot of your land rest a year don't work your horses or oxen for a whole year - and when you have continued thus six times - then rest seven years - and then rest 1,000 years, that is for man assemble yourselves one day a week, its no difference to the Lord, angels, Moroni, or Joseph - rest one seventh time - every man is a liberty to travel the streets, but they have not the liberty to herd cattle in that big field if I can find the man that sent their herd there so help me Brigham, if it takes every cow that man has he shall pay the damage - if I have to spend my time I will hunt that man out and make him pay the damage - what do you say to it shall we save the grain (yes) and make them pay the damage if its your mind signify it (all hands up) - and proclaimed that if Bishops Hunter and Everett don't repair the bridge he shall enter complaint before Bishop Whitney and again requested the brethren and sisters who have cattle loose to destroy the crops in the wards just report them to me - and will shew what I will do. -- SLC Bowery [Thomas Bullock Minutes, LJA; Thomas Bullock—LDS Church Reporter, 1844-56.C, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah.; GCM, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah..; Leonard J. Arrington Papers, Special Collections, Merrill-Cazier Library, Utah State University, Logan.. (A reference reading LJA 12-55-5, 10, means LJA Series 12, Box 55, Folder 5, page 10.) 9-13-3, 57-58; General Church Minutes. Selected Collections from the Archives of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints DVD 1 (2002)]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses]

No comments:

Post a Comment