Mormon History, Mar 22, 1849

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 22d { } There are certain days of my life which contain events of marked interest to me And my posterity An account of which I record in my Journals. These events Are in fulfillment of Ancient or modern Prophecy & revelation from God. This day was one of them.
When Joseph Smith sen The first Patriarch in the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints laid his hands upon my head to give me my Patriarchal blessings He said I should have my Father & Houshold standing with me in the covenant of the Gospel And that I should have power to bring them into the kingdom. I afterwards visited my Fathers Household preached the Gospel to them And Baptized My father, step Mother, sister & every member of His household & several other relatives.
Also Phebe W Woodruff who[se] Maiden name was Phebe W. Carter before her Marriage Also recieved A promise that she should have her Father & Household with her in the New & Everlasting Covenant. Her Mother was baptized before her death. Two of her sisters have been baptized Her brothers are now vary friendly, And this day I walked through the City of Boston with my wife's Father which is my Father in Law Ezra Carter Sen & Calvin Foss his Grand son. We went through the ship Areatus in which Calvin Foss is going to Calafornia. We visited the common And many parts of Boston.
We then returned home And Had A meeting at My own Hired house. I opened by prayers Br J C Little Addressed the meeting And Wm Page spoke A few moments. I then Arose And addressed my friends for an hour in great plainness And expressed my feelings to them in Great plainness.
At the Close of the Meeting I led my father in Law Ezra Carter sen. with two others down into the sea And Baptized them. Mrs Woodruff accompanied her Father to the water And Back again. We both felt to rejoice that the words of the old Patriarch was fulfilling upon our heads. Father Ezra Carter sen was 76 Seventy six years and 3 three days old this day that I baptized him. I have now baptized my Father Woodruff & Father in law Carter. This is a great Consolation to my Soul.
Father Ezra Carter sen was the son of Ezra Carter 84 years old, who was the son of Daniel Carter who was the son of Ezekiel Carter. His Mothers Name was Phebe Whitemore the Daughter of Elias Whitemore. Father Carter has been vary friendly from the time he first herd the gospel. He has always entertained all the saints that called upon him. + *

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment