Mormon History, Feb 25, 1849

[Brigham Young Sermon] What has been said is right - good and wholesome ideas have been advanced and worthy of our attention to unruly characters disobedient men and women you will find something by and by your are not aware of it if I discharge my duty to God I care not whose feelings are hurt, 25.00 will not pay the debt - but it will cost them more than 25,000 to redeem themselves - they are as corrupt as hell - they will slip up on your calculations - I know all about you and you cant help yourselves - I do advise men to go - I give one general advice - you poor curses go to California but don't bring your gold here - it is a curse to this people already - you who go, sail around to the United States and live among the gentiles - it is cursed - I know where there is any quantity and the saints will have it, to beautify the place for the feet of the Lord - we don't want the gold - all those saints that wants to go, go and when you come again - I wont quarrel with those who raise grain to feed you mark every man that goes - and when he comes again, let him live on crickets or wolf meat - go and I wont fellowship you - nor the quorums that fellowship you - let the dead limbs go - this is only a beginning - Mothers do you know what is going here - those devils want to run away with your daughters and sleep with them - to be whores and whore-masters - Mothers keep your daughters at home - I say they are as corrupt as hell and I have no fellowship for them - they will slip up on their plans - I came here to serve the Lord - I have been driven from the land that gave me birth - and now these poor mean miserable curses want to do as they damn please - they'll find out I am here - I was always willing to tell this people the truth and I did not fear to left my hands to the high heavens and swear etc. and I told the lawyers they may keep away from me for I would kill him - so help me the Gods of eternity - the avenger is at their heels - if I was as merciful as some men want me to be - what would become of this people - every now and then I have a revelation - if I was to say kill that man - I have no more power to take life than to make them - it is in the hands of the Lord. I will tell men what is their relationship - If a man ought to be killed I just be [-] as deliberate as to pray - and pray that God may enable you to keep your commandments and not lose your cursed heads - I say go - and don't come back again. You may take a man in poverty - and another the substance of the world it blunts the feelings of man, he trusts in his riches and forgets God, but bow that man down and it will make an humble man of him - if this people had said they never would leave this valley - I would have sent you after the gold to bring up the poor from the States if this people were all united we would send men to get gold, who were perfectly above it - who cares no more about it than the dust under his feet - we could put millions into the hands to bring up the poor and have every thing to make us comfortable - when we can bear riches we shall have it - some men have done just as right as man can do with their gold - they don't want to go they are the very men that ought to go - I want you to remember I don't care about hurting feelings - when you find you are in danger of the council you are in danger of more than you think of. -- Salt Lake City [Thomas Bullock Minutes, LJA; Thomas Bullock—LDS Church Reporter, 1844-56.C, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah.; GCM, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah..; Leonard J. Arrington Papers, Special Collections, Merrill-Cazier Library, Utah State University, Logan.. (A reference reading LJA 12-55-5, 10, means LJA Series 12, Box 55, Folder 5, page 10.) 9-13-3, 45-46; General Church Minutes. Selected Collections from the Archives of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints DVD 1 (2002)]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses]

No comments:

Post a Comment