Mormon History, Jul 8, 1847

[Minutes, Quorum of Twelve] July 8. 1847-6 in the evening Investigation in the circle George Mills v Andrew Gibbons Mills complains that Mills /Gibbons/, struck him, [and] called him an old devil-[H]e clenched, Norton heard words passing-[and] saw George getting up & struck at Gibbons Roundy d[itt]o.-saw Gibbons step towards him, but not strike him, when Mills got hold of a neck yoke, [he] called Gibbons a damd lazy bugger-[Then] I saw George get up from the ground.
Lorenzo Young d[itt]o-they talked, even, they called each other damd fools-dam[ne]d each other. Gibbons said he would not bear it longer. I saw George falling, but whether [he was] knocked or pushed, I dont know-I stept between the two. Gibbons asked Roundy if he called him the names-[but] he could not say-
G. Billings saw Gibbons push Mills-Mills tried to get the neck yoke, but was held by Gibbons.-
Young-said Gibbons did use the words, but not so fast as Mills-[T]hey were both much enraged-
Jos. Hancock-Gibbons was washing the dishes. George commenced on him-[and] called him every thing-& said enough to aggravate any one.
Pres[iden]t. Young[: D]oes Mills & Gibbons go together[?]
Ans[wer].[: T]hey have.-Gibbons & Harper do cooking for ten.
Markham-Gibbons has always been on hand when wanted. I[ ]ve heard no fault against him-
C. Harper-Gibbons has always done what I ve asked him to, without murmuring.
O[rson]. Pratt says they were both to blame for getting in a passion, but the Old Gent[lema]n.
[was] most to blame.
E[zra]. T. Benson-George will insult his best friend any time-[they are] both to blame- but Gibbons ought to know better than [to] strike an old man.
Lor[enzo]. Young-Gibbons either pushed or struck him over the Grease weeds-
Mills-When I got up, Gibbons clenched me-[H]e s abused me all the way-[H]e did strike me on the Temple when I fell over the weeds. Harper & Jacobs have both coaxed me to bear with him to the end of the journey.
Gibbons-asked others to prove if he has abused Mills-
Jacobs[: T]his complaint has been talking of many days-George says Mills is good for nothing & wont help him-[W]e understand the Cook is exempted from hunting horses-
Mills-C. Harper is worth a dozen of Gibbons & Harper is head cook.
Pres[iden]t. Young[:] You are older than I am, but it was been generally your practice to blackguard some one-[U]ntil you refrain from that, you cannot expect any man to honor you-[I]f a man descends to blackguardism & joking, he must expect is from every man, but you must refrain from it-[R]efrain from your boys talk & nonsense-Andrew Gibbons was free from hunting horses-you had no business to call on him, you had no cause of complaint-I am talking for your good-[T]reat Andrew like a boy-throw away every feeling of animosity-& ask him to do it civilly-I say to Andrew, never treat any old man with disrespect-& you George, if you are going to use rifles & pistols & bowie knives-I ll put you back, in the first company of Gentiles-
Markham-I have gone in with George-& put Gibbons in my Wagon.
Mills[:] I leave it with Elder Kimball-
Pres[iden]t. Young-George, you go home, & think better of it, and yourself.
Pres[iden]t. Kimball[: M]y advice is, take the advice of Pres[iden]t. Young.
Pres[iden]t. Young[:] I will not see any man quarrelling.
Gibbons[:] I acknowledge having done wrong & hope you will forgive me.
Pres[iden]t. Young Kimball motioned that bro. Andrew be forgiven, [it was] seconded-and carried. Pres[iden]t. Young dismissed the first trial of court martial in Camp.
George Mills[:] I ask forgiveness from the brethren, whom I have offended-[forgiveness] granted-

[source: Minutes, Quorum of Twelve]

No comments:

Post a Comment