Mormon History, Jul 8, 1847

[Hosea Stout Diary] Thursday July 8th 1847. This morning before I notified the guard that they were suspended I went to see President Cutler for I suspected the truth of D. Russells report[.] It did not breath the proper spirit to me. and moreover seemed very impolitic. President Cutler said that he had sent him to me, but not to stop the Guard for he was not in favor of it and also that we were shamefully abused and mistreated & could not blame us if we did not serve any longer neither did he like such a way of doing business without the Council being in session & proposed to me to keep the guard in rediness untill Sunday and not have the horses disposed of and he would have the subject up at the next council and adjust then & so I notified the guard accordingly.
I was around town today & now relieved from the burthen of the Picket guard.
This was one of the hottest days I ever saw But in the evening the wind came from the North accompanied by torrents of rain which ran like rivulets down the streets. It bursted in to my house in torrents and filled it up in a few moments untill I had to throw the watter out by the bucket full untill we were all completely drenched. This I believe was the hardest rain this season.
To day Anna Jones my sister came here to live as her and her husband Ben Jones had parted for some of the dissatisfaction between them.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]
[Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment