Mormon History, May 3, 1847

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 3d The Hunters were called together in the morning 20 in number to go into the Bluffs for a still Hunt for Bluffs Buffalo & other game. We started out with two waggons to Bring in the game. I had taken a severe cold & setled in my side whare I was Hurt last fall & it made me sick & I was not able to go out. Yet I started with the company as I was among the Hunters. I Had Jared myself badly in my hard Buffalo Chase on Saturday & I now was feeling its effects.
At the same time the Hunters started Another Company was formed to go & explore out the rout & see if we could get grass for our Horses as the Indians had been Burning it of for several days. We went into the Bluffs & separated into two Parties 10 in each & we travled some 10 miles Back & forth over the Hills & saw no game except Antelope & wolves.
+ I felt so unwell I concluded to go back to Camp. A Lyman & 3 others were with me. We set down upon the edge of the Bluff in sight of the camp to rest ourselves & we saw a company of 20 Horsman Approaching us from the camp in haste bearing A red flag. When they got within half a mile of us we trailed our arms & went down to meet them.
They informed us that the party that went up the river had come upon an encampment of about 400 Indian warriors. A party of about 100 had followed them down A ravene to cut off their retreat probably with the Intention of robing them of their Horses & Clothing & would take life if they could not do it without. And this company of Horsman Had come to us to call in the Hunters to camp. So we went in.
The Hunters in coming in with the Horsman came across A Herd of Buffalo & Brought into camp 3 Calfs & 4 Antelope. They kept out a good guard during the night & we had no disturbance. The cannon was fired twice early in the morning to let the Indians know we were awake. I had a vary severe night with my side. Was in much pain. We had a great dew & frost during the night. 12.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment