Mormon History, May 10, 1847

[Hosea Stout Diary] Monday May the 10th 1847. It was all hurry and bustle to be off this morning. We started at 9 in the morning mounted & took a circuit to the North through the hills & breaks hunting for the lurking places of the Indians untill we got out on the prairie & then took the dividing ridge & went south turning our horses out occasionally to graze while we watched for Indians untill we were about six or 7 miles below town S. W. or S. near a grove & while turning our horses at, a large number of Indians were discovered coming towards town & some still in their rear
Supposing them to be Omahas going to the flat to drive cattle from thence I sent two men to notify the herdsmen there to drive in their herds, while we stayed on the hill to watch them least they should go around on the ridge & drive cattle from thence.
After they had mostly gone to the flat we also went on a force march to intersect them & met them just as we came to the flat
They were Ottos. There were some 40 accompanyed by their head chiefs in all 4. One could talk English & he told me who whey were & I was satisfied that they would do no harm.
In a few moments the whole company came up. Capt Caw was along who knew me[.] He was very glad to see me[.] They all seemed to want to shake hands with me. I suppose he told who I was. The whole bottom was full of cattle, at this time all in a tumult running & driving dust flying to get to town so I sent a man to tell them to stop while we all turned out horses to graze with they Ottoes for they had horses.after grazing a while we came into town about three oclock & they went to the council house & put up for the night[.] A church ox was given to them for their supper.
Jim & his brother, the war chief came home with me & took dinner. Capt Caw went with Br Major who took his likeness, which amused the rest very much when they saw it. They would laugh & say "Capt Caw."
They came to pay us a visit & see further about having their corn drawn for them. I spent the day in attending to business for them & arrainging the guard untill about 11 oclock at night

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment