Mormon History, Apr 19, 1847

[Hosea Stout Diary] Monday April 19th 1847. This morning I went to take my mare to Greens Taylors, who had agreed to take care of her and also as many of my oxen as I brought him. Br Bills had returned with my mare. She was dead poor & had not been treated well, I think. I found the people all well & preparing their farms. In the after noon I came home again & crossed the river about very tired
I had not been home but a few moments before the Marshall notified me that there was a special meeting of the council at Br Saml Russells at which I was wanted[.] I went accordingly. It had been called to take immediate action on the matter of the Omahas killing our cattle for they were getting worse every day.
Much was said after which a committee was appointed to go and have an interview with Big Elk on the subject where upon President Alpheus Cutler Daniel Spencer, C. P. Lott and W. W. Phelps were apointed to go and complain of our grievences.
The feeling of the Council & also of Elders Taylor and Pratt were indignant at the conduct of the Omahas and the prevailing sentiment was to stop them if it had to be by harsher means.
I came home about ten oclock.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment