Mormon History, Feb 23, 1847

[Brigham Young Sermon] I dreamed that I saw Joseph sitting in a room in the southwest corner near a bright window. He sat in a chair with his feet both on the lower round. I took him by the hand and kissed him on both cheeks, and wanted to know why we could not be together as we once was. He said that it was all right, that we should not be together yet. We must be separated for a season. I said it was hard to be separated from him. He said it was all right and putting his feet down on the floor. Now all you who know how he looks, when he used to give council, know all about, how he looked then. I told him that the Latter Day Saints were very anxious to know about the law of adoption, and the sealing powers and desired word of council from him. Joseph said: Do you be sure and tell the people one thing. Do you been sure and tell the brethren that it is all important for them to keep the spirit of the Lord, to keep the quiet spirit of Jesus, and he explained how the spirit of the Lord reflected on the spirit of man and set him to pondering on any subject, and also explained how to know the spirit of the Lord from the spirit of the enemy. He said the mind of man must be open to receive all spirits, in order to be prepared to receive the spirit of the Lord, otherwise it might be barred so as not to receive the spirit of the Lord, which always brings peace and makes one happy and takes away every other spirit. When the still small voice speaks always receive it, and if the people will do these things, when they come up to the Father, all will be as in the beginning, and every person stand as at the first. I saw how we were organized before we took tabernacles and every man will be restored to that which he had then, and all will be satisfied. After this I turned away and saw Joseph was in the edge of the light, but where I had to go was as midnight darkness. He said I must go back, so I went back in the darkness. I want you all to remember my dream, for it is a vision of God and was revealed through the spirit of Joseph. -- Winter Quarters, Nebraska [On the Mormon Frontier, the Diaries of Hosea Stout. Juanita Brooks, ed. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 1964. 1:238]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009)]

No comments:

Post a Comment