Mormon History, Jun 22, 1845

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] June 22d Sunday I met with the Saints for the last time on the occasion of preaching to them while on this visit to London. I Preached in the morning after assisting Br Davis in baptizing 2 persons. We had quite a full attendance.
I dined with Br David Shorton. We Administered the sacrament in the Afternoon, & I ordained Br Henry Crump to the office of an Elder & confirmed 4 persons blessed 2 children Administered to 10 sick persons. Some portion of the time was occupied by the brethren & Sisters in bearing testimony & we had a good meeting.
As the City had been placarded during the week saying that W Woodruff would preach a funeral sermon upon the death of the Prophet & Patriarch Joseph & Hiram Smith who were murdered for their religion in Carthage Illinois on the 27th of June 1844, services to commence at 1/2 past 6 oclock in the evening at an early hour the people began to gather. And the house was soon filled with a large respectable con
gregation. I took for my text the XVI Ch. Rev 3 to 7 verses. I treated upon the life and character of Those men the origen rise & Progress of the Church the Administering of the Angel of God unto them their Persecution & marterdom. The spirit of God rested upon me and I deeply felt the wait of the subject. The house was almost as still as the house of Death. The strictest attention was paid And a good impression seemed to be made upon the minds of the people.
At the close of the meeting A Collection was taken up & about £1.10 was taken in all. At the Close of the meeting I felt satisfied with the labours of the day & felt thankful for the privilege of bearing my testimony before about three hundred Saints And many respectable citizens in the city of London.
When I reflect back to 1840 & remember the time when I first brought the gospel to London in company with Elders Kimball & G. A. Smith & we walked the Streets of London for about 30 Days before we baptized a soul and a
fter about six months labour we established a branch of about 40 members & the work from that time untill the Present had slowly progressed through all difficulty untill the light was growing brighter & brighter & a prospect of many souls being brought unto the kingdom of God.

[Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]
About this site: http://bit.ly/AboutMHist

No comments:

Post a Comment