Mormon History, May 17, 1848

[Hosea Stout Diary] Wed May 17th 1848.
Finished arrainging my loads and traded in the Store for my out fit and started on our journy to the Far West about two oclock
I moved in two waggons which were arrainged as follows To one waggon was two yoke of oxen & one yoke of cows which were driven by Samuel Carns who engaged to drive a team & for me to board him & draw 400 pounds.
The other waggon had one yoke of oxen which I drove. This waggon I slept in.
The whole amount of my loading was 3,267 pounds weight. We proceeded on without any difficulty only having to double up the main hill after leavin town from the Summit of which we took our last long view of the town and the civilized world east of the Rocky Mountains.
We arrived in Camp about 3 miles from town in good time & turned our cattle out to bait on most excellent grass. There was a very large company here already The night was clear & pleasant with a full moon to cheer us.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment