Mormon History, Jan 22, 1846

[Hosea Stout Diary] Thursday Jany 22nd 1846. Met the guard on foot in the Temple cellar at 8 and made new regulations as followsthat each company should furnish six men each day to guard in the day time except the company which was on guard the night before & the ones which was to go on that night for the guarding was done at night by companies one company at a time in succession, a part of the guard is to stand at the Temple and part patroll the city & suburbs, one half on guard at a time and relieved by the other half at noon & midnight.After the above regulations I appointed Elam Luddington to be Seargent of the guard at the Temple he was to see that the guard done its duty & kept its post &c & also that the patrol guard report to him when I am absent.I then went to the Hall & from thence to the upper Steam mill with Hunter and wattered our horses and then we went by C. Allens to my house & took dinner & met the guard at three as usual in the cellar & regulated it for the night and then started
for home.Scott was with mejust as I was going I met F. R. Tower who was on his way home from Warsaw â€" I had not time to talk with him so we parted to meet again in the morning & I went home & came to the Temple at dark and met with a company of Saints in the Temple for prayerwe were dressed in our robes which was the first time I ever met to pray according to the order of the priesthood.About 8 oclock I went to Allen Weeks and staid all night.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment