Mormon History, Dec 9, 1845

[Hosea Stout Diary] Tuesday Decr 9th 1845. Went to the Hall and in company with John Scott & J. D. Hunter had a talk with Daniel Carn.He related his grievences and told all the causes of dissatisfaction which he had against me and after he was through I explained the matter as they were and showed him reasons for doing as I did and also wherein he was mistaken which convinced him and he was satisfied and all causes of hardness were removed between us.Hunter & I then went to Allen J Stouts and took dinner & then we went to the Temple and Saw and had a talk with Br J. P. Harmon relative to his dissension from the police and the course I had taken in regard to him.He told all the causes of grievences which he said he had against me which was simply this He said that he had understood that I had put him in John Scotts company of ten which he thought was not treating him with proper respect & He had thought for sometime that I had not been as familiar with him as usual.Upon which
consideration he had
joined Roundys company without letting me know it thus forsaking me with out giving me notice that he was dissatisfiedHe said it was all nothing to have feelings about.I told him I had not put him in Scotts ten neither was I ever inclined in my feelings to treat him coldly he said it might all be his own private feelings without any cause but still he manifested no disposition to be reconciled.I thought he was wilful in his dissension and verily believe that he is now engaged in a crusade of evil against me with others who have an aspiring spirit to rise on my ruins which thing I will venture to predict will yet manifest its self in the sight of all the Saints but I will say but little about that now as it will transpire fast enough.But if this disposition for wicked men to rise on the ruins of others would stop at that I would be willing to fall a sacrafise to them if it would let those above me alone but let the future reveal its own history.I left Br
Harmon, after showing him
all the intentions which I had for the course I had taken just as I found him as I thought wilfully dissatisfied from here Hunter went home & I to the Hall from there I started in company with A. J. Stout to the police and on our way we met Brs B. Young & O Hyde and Br Young told me that it was decided in council for me to go on a mission to England and wanted to know what I thought of itI told him I was ready to do any thing which was counciled for me to do and then parted with them & went to the police and then Hunter & I went to my house where we came about dark.

[Diaries of Hosea Stout]
[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment