Mormon History, Dec 30, 1845

[Hosea Stout Diary] Tuesday Decr 30th 1845. Went to Br Pattens and then saw Br Charles ShumwayHe had been informed that he was cut off from the Police & I showed him why those reports had been set afloat by those who were my enemies to turn him against me.From there I went to the Temple and was informed that President Young wanted to see me & had dispached a messenger for me so I went to his room in the Temple.He wanted me to raise an additional guard of fifty horse men kept on hands which I immediately went to raising.
When I had got about twenty men raised and mounted captain Morganand about Eight or ten men passed byThey had come into the city with some writs for some of the brethren and were going round through the City saying they were hunting some hogs which D. Hibbard said he had lost.
We all went after him going in squads of six or eight menWe met them in every turn of the streets and some were after them all the while & every place that they went some times they wo
uld seperate but we kept close on them at last they wanted to know what we mentWe told them we were hunting stolen property &cThe captain tried to ascertain if we ment to insult himwe told him we did not but that he had a man by the name of Hill in his company who was guilty of murder & House burning and we intended to watch him.They then proceeded to Carthage where they were stationed & we followed them to the edge of the city and there I organized them guards into Squads of six men each and appointed a captain over each Squad & sent them through town and to meet at the Temple in the evening Hunter & I then proceeded to the Temple and made report of what had been done which was satisfactoryI then went to Br Hall to have my Horse Shod and returned to the Temple and arrainged the guard and police for
the night and came home at dark
To day Hunter & I got each a horse which had been put into our posession by Br A. PattenThey proved to be good horses for our business.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment