Mormon History, Jul 18, 1844

-- Jul 18, 1844
[Brigham Young] --18-- I met in council with Elders H. [Heber] C. Kimball, O. [Orson] Pratt and W. [Wilford] Woodruff, preparatory to returning to Nauvoo.

--21 (Sunday)-- Elder Kimball and I attended meeting in Boston and preached to the Saints. (1)

[Nauvoo Temple] Following a Thursday fast meeting Zina Huntington Jacobs paid her temple tithing. (2)

-- Jul 19, 1844
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 19th + I borrowed $10 dollars of Br Bickford of Boston & gave my note for it and $5 dollars of Brother Wingate & gave my note for that. I received $12 dollars from Br John Hardy for 6 Books of T & S & $9 dollars for Books that Br Phelps sold for me. /The above money is paid.

/Br Reuben Hedlock address in Liverpool is 36 Chapel st. J. Hardy is 91 Commercial st Boston. I had a present of a Coat from sister Jones of Boston.

Br Samuel Dam wished me to send him all the Times and seasons Bound and the covenants & Book of mormon & he will pay the money. He spoke of Bying a lot of me. I spent the night at 57 Temple st. (3)

-- Jul 20, 1844
William Law writes in a letter: "While the wicked slay the wicked I believe I can see the hand of a blasphemed God stretched out in judgment, the cries of innocence and virtue have ascended up before the throne of God, and he has taken sudden vengeance." (4)

-- Jul 21, 1844 (Sunday)
Addison Pratt baptized four white men and four natives on the island of Tubuai. These natives, whose names were Nabota and his wife Telii, Pauma and Hamoe, were the first of the Polynesian race to embrace the fulness of the gospel. (5)

-- Jul 22, 1844
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 22d (Home)(Home) I parted with the friends in Simsbury and rode to my Fathers house in farmington and was truly glad to once more behold the face of my Father and step mother. I found them alone not a child with them in their decline of life to watch their cares. I had but 24 hours to spend with them. I happily improved it. I never enjoyed a better visit with them.

My mind had been deeply impressed for weeks that I had sumthing to do for my parents before they died. Now was my time. My father was near seventy /67/ years of age. I might never see him again. That night I shall never forget while time endures. Eternity alone can ownly unfold the strength of its deeds. As the Sable Shades of night drew her Serene Curtin ore the earth to still the cares of day we met alone; none but congeniel spirits their.

Wilford arose and with the spirit of a Joseph towards his father Jacob opened his heart to his father and spoke his mind. The sentiment was re-cieved. I lade my hands upon my Father Aphek head (And according to the authority of the Priesthood and Apostleship confered upon me by the Revelations of Jesus Christ under the hands of the Twelve Apostles, President B. Young being mouth upon the cornor stone of the house of the Lord in far west in the land of Zion,) I ordained My father Aphek Woodruff unto the office of an high Priest and Patriarch after the order of Melchezedeck. I sealed him up unto eternal life. I placed upon his head the seals of the covenant. [One and a half lines crossed out and illegible.]

When all was oer it was right, my soul was satisfyed. I had accomplished what my soul longed after. My Dear father and stepmother retired. I was left alone: Alone did I say? No not alone. A congeniel spirit, A kindred spirit dwelt with me, around my + bed upon my briest, within my heart. 0 glorious night. Sleep departed from me. Meditations, seenes and visions of by gone days and days to come, formed my covering, my curtain. Who knows the sweets of obedience, the gospel, eternal truth? The Ancient Patriarch's. So do we.

I shall never forget the last night I spent beneath my fathers Roof. I may never spend another there. O God protect my aged father, through life. Let the strength of Parental obligation rest with due wait upon my head. Console the heart of her who has watched my wants, my youth, my life, and when my mother rises from the grave let the union of my father be like a three fold cord not easily broaken. Let him stand in the linage of his fathers in his exhaltations. What I say unto one I say unto all. Watch, for thoughts dwell deep, but words pass away. (Vera amieitia est sempiterna.) 15 m. (3)

Illinois governor Thomas Ford writes to Willard Richards and W.W. Phelps: "The naked truth then is, that most well informed persons condemn in the most unqualified manner the mode in which the Smiths were put to death, but nine out of every ten of such accompany the expression of their disapprobation by a manifestation of their pleasure that they are dead. The disapproval is most unusually cold and without feeling . . . called for by decency, by a respect for the laws and a horror of mobs, but does not flow warm from the heart. The unfortunate victims . . . were generally and thoroughly hated throughout the country, and it is not reasonable to suppose that their deaths has produced any reaction in the public mind resulting in active sympathy; if you think so, you are mistaken." (4)

-- Jul 23, 1844
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 23d Tuesday I took the parting hand with father and mother with great Satisfaction. A pecu-lier Charm was thrown around my soul as I left the threshhold of my fathers house, having the confidence that if I never see my father in the flesh again I shall meet him in the first resurrection. I had a desire in my heart that all the ordinances of the fulness of the gospel might also be administered unto father and mother Carter that they may sleep in peace. May God grant the request.

I rode in company with Landlord Phelps to the railroad depo in New Briten. Took rail road to New Haven. Spent 10 hours in the place mostly at Mr Tuttles. Was with Br Terrill. Did not see Br Davis. Took Steem Boat at 10 oclok. Arived at New York next morning. Distance from Farmington Ct. to New York 150 miles. (3)


Footnotes:
1 - Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1801-1844, ed. Elden Jay Watson (Salt Lake City: Smith Secretarial Service, 1968).
2 - Brown, Lisle (compiler), Chronology of the Construction, Destruction and Reconstruction of the Nauvoo Temple
3 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
4 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com
5 - Jenson, Andrew, Church Chronology


LDS History Timeline
About this site: http://bit.ly/mhist

No comments:

Post a Comment