Mormon History, Jul 23, 1843, Sunday

-- Jul 23, 1843, Sunday
[William Clayton Writings] Sunday 23. ... M. appears dissatisfied with her situation & is miserable O that the Lord will bless my house and deliver us from every evil principle & feeling that we may be saved. For I desire to do right. O Lord make my heart and my affections right and pure as it shall please thee that I may enjoy the blessing of peace and happiness even so Amen. Hyrum preached A.M and Joseph P.M. Evening I had some more talk with M. & find she is miserable which makes me doubly so. I offered to her to try to have her covenant released if she desired it but she said she was not willing (1)

-- Jul 24, 1843
Nauvoo, Illinois. Joseph Smith conversed with Mr. Joseph P. Hoge, the Democratic candidate for the United States Congress. (2)

[Joseph Smith] Joseph meets with Mr. Hoge, the Democratic candidate for Congress. He also receives some money owed him by William and Wilson Law. (3)

[Joseph Smith Diary] Monday, July 24th Exhibition of Divine, the fire king in the Mayor's court over the store. (4)

Parley Parker Pratt: Sealed to Elizabeth Brotherton 24 July 1843. No children. (5)

-- Jul 24, 1843, Monday
[William Clayton Writings] Monday 24. ... M. is still miserable and unhappy and it does seem that my heart must burst. What shall I do? How shall I recompense? And how long must I thus suffer worse than death for that which I have always regarded as being the will of the Lord. By the help of the Lord I will do right. I have repeatedly offered to M. to try to get a release from the covenant and I have done all I know to make things comfortable but to no effect. She appears almost to hate me and cannot bear to come near me. O. God if thou wilt give me M's affections, and cause things to be pleasant and happy between us, If thou will bless her & comfort her by thy spirit & cause her to rejoice in what she has done, and bring it to pass that I may secure her truly with all her affections for time & for eternity. I feel to covenant to try to serve thee with more diligence if possible and to do all that thou shalt require at mine hands, wilt thou not grant me this blessing, and rel
ieve my aching heart from this worst of all troubles which ever befel me in the course of my life? O God plead my cause and give me thine everlasting blessing, and do remember M. for good that she may be comforted even so amen amen and amen (1)

-- Jul 25, 1843
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 25 Got along well through the day considering the low water. Susan Cornelia Woodruff was born at half past 11 oclock. (6)

[Joseph Smith Diary] Tuesday, July 25th Saw Joseph in the middle room laying on the /low/ bed, gave him two dollars for room rent and $1.45 for benefit of Temple from Divine's exhibition. (4)

-- Jul 25, 1843, Tuesday
[William Clayton Writings] Tuesday ... M. much as usual. (1)

-- Jul 25, 1843. Tuesday.
[William Clayton Journal] Â…M[argaret] much as usual. (7)

-- July 25-30, 1843
[Joseph Smith] Joseph is sick all week, his "lungs oppressed and overheated through preaching last Sunday." Hyrum Smith, William Law, and Willard Richards administer to him, and many others of the Twelve visit him. (3)

-- Jul 26, 1843
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 26th Passed Wheeling. Stoped at Wellsville. Br Little & wife stoped here. We passed a snag Boat employed by [the] government to keep the river Clear of Snags. We run onto a sand bar at night & remained untill morning. (6)

[Joseph Smith Diary] Wednesday, July 26th Shower of rain at twelve o'clock noon. (4)

-- Jul 26, 1843, Wednesday
[William Clayton Writings] Wednesday 26. ... M. seems quite embittered against me in consequence of which I called her to me and asked her if she desired the covenant to be revoked if it were posssible To this she would not give me a satisfactory answer only saying if it had not been done it should not be. (meaning our union) I then asked if she would consent if A would take her under all circumstances; but she would not consent to have it revoked--saying she did it not for her sake but for the sake of the peace of my family. Under these circumstances I could not rest until I had ascertained wether the c could he revoked & although contrary to her wish I went to see Prest. J. I took A to talk with him & asked him some questions whereby I ascertained that he would be willing to take her under all circumstances, I reasoned considerable with him to prove that I had done right in all these matters so far as I knew it, I called the Prest. out and briefly stated the situation of th
ings and then asked him if the C, could be revoked. He shook his head and answered no. At this conclusion my mind seemed for the moment to get relief for the two fold reason that I had done all I could and I did not want the C. revoked. I came back & M & A. were together in Farrs garden. I told them the answer I had got & advised them to take the best measures to make all things right between them. I cannot help thinking that M. has treated me not only unkindly but meanly & cruelly, but I forgive her before the Lord for I sympathize with her in her grief, but cant console her for she will not speak to me. My earnest prayer to God is that all things may soon become right & pleasant & that the Lord may bless her & save her from sinning against him. And if I have done wrong in asking if the C. could be revoked & seeking to have it done O Lord forgive me for I desire to do right in all things that I may he saved, I feel that I have done right in the sight of God and that he has
abundantly blessed me for which I thank him and something tells me that the time will come when M. will love those whom see ought & when she will feel perfectly satisfied with her situation & rejoice that things remain as they are. And now O God bless thy servant and handmaid & stamp the peace upon us and fill us with the spirit of truth for Jesus Christs sake Amen-- (1)


Footnotes:
1 - Fillerup, Robert C., compiler; William Clayton Nauvoo Diaries and Personal Writings, A chronological compilation of the personal writings of William Clayton while he was a resident of Nauvoo, Illinois. http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/clayton-diaries
2 - BYU Studies Journal, volume 46, no. 4: A Chronology of the Life of Joseph Smith
3 - Conklin, Christopher J., Joseph Smith Chronology
4 - Faulring, Scott (ed.), An American Prophet's Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith: Joseph Smith Diary, 1843-44
5 - Cook, Lyndon W., The Revelations of the Prophet Joseph Smith: A Historical and Biographical Commentary of the Doctrine and Covenants, Seventy's Mission Bookstore, Provo UT, 1985
6 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
7 - George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995


LDS History Timeline
About this site: http://bit.ly/mhist

No comments:

Post a Comment