Mormon History, Apr 5, 1843

-- Apr 5, 1843
[Polygamy] Joseph Bates Noble polygamous marriage to Sarah B. Alley (1)

-- 6Apr43
[Joseph Smith Sermon] Examination of Officers
Nauvoo House - Needed to Make a Good Impression on Travelers
Sustaining of Officers
Bonding of the Twelve
Clayton's Complaint Against Temple Committee
Twelve and Church Funds (2)

-- Apr 6, 1843
Nauvoo, Illinois. At the afternoon session of the annual conference of the Church, Joseph Smith taught about the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. (3)

[Joseph Smith Diary] Thursday, April 6th 1843 The first day of the Jubilee of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. A special Conference assembled on the platform of the Temple, or /rough/ floor of the basement at 10 o'clock A.M. The sun shone clearly and was very warm and pleasent. Scarce[ly] a speck of snow is to be seen except on the north side of Zarahemla Hill [where there] is considerable, but the ice was about 2 feet deep in the river west of the Temple and north of that point and south /of that/. The channel is clear of ice. The walls of the Temple are from 4 to 12 feet above the floor of the conference.
President Joseph was detained by a court Conversation between Widow Thompson vs. Sister and Bro[ther] Dixon (from Salem) in assumpsit.
President B[righam] Young had charge of the meeting during the absence of President Joseph. [The following members of the] Quorum of the Twelve [Apostles] [were] present: H[eber] C. Kimball, O[rson] Pratt, W[ilford] Woodruff, John Taylor, Geo[rge] A. Smith, [and] W[illard] Richards.
[At] 1/2 past 11 o'clock Amasa Lyman present prayed after a hymn was sung by the quire. O[rson] Pratt read the 3d chap[ter] of 2d Epistle of Peter and preached on the subject of the resurrection.
10 /mi[nutes]/ before 12, President Joseph Smith and Elder Rigdon and O[rson] Hyde arrived. The floor was about 3/4 covered with listeners.
[At] 12 o'clock O[rson] Pratt gave way and Joseph [a]rose to state the object of the meeting. It is my object to ascertain the stan[d]ing of the First Presidency (as I have been instructed). I present myself for trial. I shall next present my councillors for trial. 3d to take into consideration the sending out of the Twelve [Apostles] /or some portion of them/ or somebody else to get means to build up [the] Nauvoo House and Temple.
4th Elders will have the privilege of appeals from the different conferences to this if there are any such cases. It is important that this conference give importance to the N[auvoo] House, as a prejudice exists against the Nauvoo House in favor of the Lord's House.
There is no place where men of wealth, character, and influence can go to repose themselfs and it is necessary we should have such a place.
Are you satisfied with the First Presidency, so far as I am concerned, or will you choose another? If I have done any thing to injure my character in the sight of men or angels, or men and women, come forward tell of it and if not ever after hold you[r] peace.
President B[righam] Young [a]rose and nominated Joseph Smith to continue as the President /of the Church/. Orson Hyde 2d it. Voted unanimously. Such a show of hands was never seen before in the Church. Joseph returned his thanks to the assembly and said he would serve them according to the best of his ability.
/Next President Joseph/ Brought forward Elder Rigdon for trial. Br[other] Young nominated Elder Rigdon to continue. 2d by O[rson] Hyde.
Elder Rigdon spoke, "The last conference I have had privilege of attended was at the Laying of the corner stone of this house. I have had no health and been connected with circumstances the most forbidding which doubtless has produced some feeling. I have never had a doubt of the work.
"My feelings concerning [John C.] Bennet[t] were always the same and [I] told my family to guard that fellow, for some time he will make a rupture among this people. [I] had so little confidence. I always felt myself at his difiance.
"I was one threatened by Warren Parrish /if I would not coincide with his views/. I have got such a threatening letter from J[ohn] C. Bennet[t] that if I did not turn my course I should feel the force of his power. This is an increase of my health and strength and I desire to serve you in any way it is possible for me to do. If any one has any feelings I hope they will express them."
Dymick Huntington asked concerning Rigdon stating that Bennet[t] was a gentleman and had nothing against him. Some time since, Rigdon recollects nothing or little about the conversation. Thinks Dimick Mistaken. Dimick knows he was not. Rigdon /said/ Bennett never offered any abuse to my family and at that time he had never been familiar with him. Dymick[:] I have no private pique against Elder Rigdon.
Voted (in general) /almost unanimous/ that Elder Rigdon retained his standing./Joseph presented W[illia]m Law for trial/ Moved by B[righam] Young, 2d by Heber Kimball. Voted that W[illia]m Law retain his standing.
Voted unanimously that Hyrum Smith retain his office as Patriarch. &c. Hyrum said the Lord bless the people and Elder Rigdon said so too. /Joseph said "I do not know any thing against the Twelve [Apostles]. If I did I would present them for trial."
/It is not right that all the burden of the Nauvoo House should rest on a few individuals and /we/ will now consider the propriety of sending the Twelve [Apostles] to collect names for the Nauvoo House. There has been too great latitude in individuals for the building of the Temple to the exclusion of the Nauvoo House. It has been reported that the Twelve have wages $200 per day for their services. I never heard this till recently and I do not believe I have ever known their having any thing. I go in for binding up the Twelve.
Let this conference institute an order to this end and let no more pay money or stock into the hands of the Twelve except the payer transmit the account immediately to the Trustee in trust and no man else /but the Twelve [Apostles]/ have authority to act as agents for the Temple and Nauvoo House.
I will mention one case. He is a good man. That man's name is Russel. He had been in East on business for his brother and took money belonging to the Temple and put it in the bag with his brother' money. Two or 3 days after /his return/ he called on his brother for the money, but his brother thought he had paid out too much money and he would keep the Church money /to make good his own/. I called to see Russel about the money and he treated me so politely I concluded he never meant to pay. Bro[ther] Russel[l] said /that/ his brother said he should not be out of.money again. There was $20 of the Church money and some dried apple for the Pres[iden]ts.
I propose that you send moneys for the Temple by the Twelve [Apostles] some or all; or some agent of your chosing and if you send by others and the money is lost, tis lost to yourselves. I cannot be responsible for it.
It is wrong for the Church to make a bridge of my nose in appropriating Church funds. The incorporation required of me securities which were lodged in the proper hands. Temple committee are bound to me in/the sum/$2,000 and the Church is running to them /with funds/ every day and I am not responsible for it.
So long as you consider me worthy to hold this office, it is your duty to attend to the legal forms belonging to the business. My desire is /that/ the conference Minutes go forth to inform all branches of the order of doing business and the Twelve [Apostles] be appointed to this special mission of collecting funds for the Nauvoo House.
When I went to the White House at Washington /and/ presented Letters from Thomas Carlin. Van Buren said /Tho[ma]s Carlin, Tho[ma]s Carlin/. Who [is] Tho[ma]s Carlin? I erred in spirit and /I/ confess my mistake in being angry with Martin Van Buren for saying Tho[ma]s Carlin is nobody. Let it be recorded on earth and in heaven that I am clear of this sin.
There has been complaint against the Temple Committee for appropriating the Church funds to the benefit of their own children, to the neglect of others who need assistance more than they do.
I have /the/ complaint by W[illia]m Clayton. W[illia]m Clayton called, says I have to say to the conference I am not so fully prepared to substantiate the proof as I could wish. I am able to prove that [property was] used to a great extent. I am able to prove by the books that Cahoon and Higby have used property for their own families to the exclusion of others.
/Joseph said/ Let the trial of the committee be deferred to another day /then let/ the Lion and the unicorn come together, day after tomorrow. Mr. Clayton can have the privilege of bringing his books to the trial.
Moved, seconded, and voted that the Twelve [Apostles] be appointed a committee to receive and gather funds to build the Nauvoo House. With this provision, that the Twelve give bonds for good delivery to trustee in trustee and payer make immediate report to the trustee in trust. Bro[ther] W[illiam] W. Phelps proposed that the Twelve give duplicate receipts.
President Young remarked he should never give receipts for cash /except such as he put in his own pocket for his own use/ but wished this speculation to stop and asked if any one knew any thing against any one of the Twelve, any dishonesty. I know of one who is not and referred to Muzzling the ox that treadeth out the corn.
Joseph said, "I will answer Bro[ther] Brigham. Let the Twelve [Apostles] spend the time belonging to the Temple for to collect funds and the remainder of the time they may labor for their support. The idea of not muzzling the ox that treadeth out the corn is a good old quaker songs. I have never taken the first farthing of Church funds for my own use till I have first consulted the proper authorities 'and when there was no quorum of the Twelve or High Priests I have asked the Temple Committee who had no business with it. Eider Cutler said it was so. Let this conference stop all agents in collecting funds except the Twelve."
1 1/2 P.M. Hym[n] by Quoir. 12 [minutes before] 2 P.M. dismissed by prayer [given by] O[rson] Hyde. [Conference adjourned] for 1 hour.
3 [P.M.] Hyrum commenced by observing that he had some communication to make before Joseph came and would read from the Wasp, last number. A man who formerly belonged to the Church revealed to me there are a band of men and some strong in the faith of the Doctrine of Latter Day Saints, and some who do not belong to the Church /were bound by secret oaths &c./ that it is right to steal from any one who does not belong to the Church if they gave 1/4 part to the Temple. If they did not remain stedfast they ripped open their bowels and gave them to the cat fish and they are the very Gadianton robbers of the last days.
Then /read/ his own affidavit as reprinted in the "Wasp" dated 26 November 1841 and the doings of the conference at Ramus and proclamation /or declaration of/ of the Twelve [Apostles] /and/ affidavit of Joseph. These said /11/ /the/ theives /have been compared to/ the little foxes. The presidency are the great foxes and they told me this was the interpretation given the preaching from the /stand by the theives/.
David Holman [and] James Dunn confessed to me when they lived in my house that they had stolen from the world. I told him to get out of my house. The[n] David /Holman/ lifted his hand to heaven and swore if I would forgive him he would never do so again. He went to Montrose and stole and run away to Nauvoo, found a barrel of flour on the bank, just delivered from a Steam boat. Stole the flour went to Keokuk and sold it, saying he had picked up the barrel in the /river/ as it was likely a little damaged, he would take $2.00 got his pay and went his way. Made many observations to the Saints on stealing.
Joseph followed. I want the Elders to make hon[or]able proclamation abroad what the feelings of the Presidency are. I despise a theif above ground. He would betray me, /if he could get the opportunity/ if I were the biggest rogue in the world, he would steal my horse when I wanted to run away, /then/ read proclamation of the Mayor on stealing. Dated 25th day [of] March 1843 "Wasp" No. 48. Many observation and confirmatory and said, enough said for this conference on this subject. Elders have a privilege to appeal from any decision of a branch to know if they shall retain their office or membership.
Necessary I explain concerning Keokuk. It is known that the Gov[erno]r of Iowa has posted a writ for me on affidavit of Boggs. He still holds that writ as a cudgil over my head. (U.S. Attorney told me all writs issued thus were legally dead) I said that is a stumper and I will shew them a trick or the Devil never did /that is/ leave them. Every man who wishes to [win] out econimically with regard to futurity, let them come over here as soon as they can settle their affairs without sacrifice. Let them come and we will protect them and let that government know that we don't like to be imposed upon.
About the first of August 1842 Mr. Remick came to my house, put on a long face, said he was in distress, about to loose $1,400 from /a theft of/ 300 [dollars] at Sheriffs Sale. Said he the sale takes place tomorrow. I have money in St. Louis. Next morning he called. I did not like the looks of him /but thought I/ he is a stranger. I have been a stranger and better loose 200 than be guilty of sin of ingratitude. Took his note on demand. /The/ day I was taken I asked him for the money. You ought to have it /said he but/ I have not got the money from St. Louis. I have a curious plan in my mind. I will give you a quit claim deed of the land you bought of Galland and /give notes to/ Gallands which I have as his agent.
"I," said Joseph, "have not asked you for your property and would not give a snap /for it/ but I will accept your offer, but want my money (1/2 my land in the state) /said he I will give you deed and/ he gave me deeds and I got them recorded. He called for some more favors and I let him have some clothes /to the amount/ of 6 or 7 hundred dollars. I have offered this land to many, if they would go to settle there but nobody will go. /I agreed/ if I found he owned as much as he pretended I would give my influence to build up Keokuk.
"J. G. Rem[m]ick /is his name. He has got/ most $1,100 per acre. He looks exactly like a woodchuck and talks like a woodchuck on a stump with a chaw of tobacco /in his mouth/. He tried to get his hands to steal a stove from near my stove and carry it off on the raft. He is a theif. My advice is, if they choose /to/ come away from Keokuk and not go there more. I am not so much of a christian as many suppose I am, when a man undertakes to ride me I am apt to kick him off and ride him. I wouldn't bye property in the Iowa. I considered it stooping to accept it as a gift.
/"I wish to speak of the/ 1/2 breed lands [Half Breed Tract] opposite this city [in Iowa]. 1/2 breed lands and every man there who is not 1/2 breed had better come away and in a little time we will call them all 1/2 breed. I wish we could swap some of our 1/2 breeds here for /the 1/2 breeds who/ lived there. I will give you a key, if any /one/ will growls tomorrow [about being called a 1/2 breed], you will know him to be a 1/2 breed.
"My opinion is the Legislature have done well in giving the best tittle to settlers and squatters. Those who have deeds to those islands from the chancery of Iowa have as good tittle as any, but the settlers under /the/ laws of Iowa Legislature and chancery of Iowa are at variance. I believe it a fine [example] of swindling by court of Chancery.
"Dr. Galland said those Islands don't belong to any body. /They were/ thrown out of U.S. Survey. Hence no man had a claim /and it was/ so considered when I came here. My advice to the Mormons who have deeds and possessions /is/ fight it out. You who have no deeds or possessions let them alone. Touch not a stick of their timber. Deeds given by court of chancery warrants and defend[s] against all unlawful claims. It is a 1/2 breed. It [is] an anomaly, without form and void, a nondescript. If they have your note, let them come here and sue you then you can carry up your case to the highest court so long as the Laws have a shadow of tittle. It is not right for the Mormons to go and carry away the wood. In the name of the Lord God, I forbid any man from using any observations of mine to rob the land of wood.
"Moses Martin has been tried and had fellowship withdrawn /by the Church/ at Keokuk /Nashville/.
/"The question has been asked/ can a member not belonging to the Church bring a member before the High Council for trial? I answer No! I ask no Jurisdiction /in religious matters/. I merely give my opinion when asked. If there was any feelings at Nashville because I gave my opinion, there is no occasion for it. I only advice the brethren to come from Iowa and they may do as they please /about coming/. If I had not actually got into this work and been called of God, I would back out. But I cannot back out. I have no doubt of the truth. Were I going to prophecy I would prophecy the end will not come in 1844 or 5 or 6 or 40 years more.
"There are those of the rising generation who shall not taste death till Christ comes. I was once praying earnestly upon this subject and a voice said unto me, 'My son, if thou livest till thou art 85 years of age, thou shalt see the face of the Son of Man.' I was left to draw my own conclusions concerning this and I took the liberty to conclude that if I did live till that time Jesus /he/ would make his appearance but I do not say whether he will make his appearance or I shall go where he is. I prophecy in the name of the Lord God, and let it be written, that the Son of Man will not come in the heavens till I am 85 years old, 48 years hence or about 1890."
/Then read/ 14 Rev[elation] 6 verse another Angel fly[ing] in the midst of heaven for the hour of his judgement is come to [begin] extermination from the commencement commence[d] when the angel commences preaching this gospel. /1 day [equals] 1,000 years/ 1,000 years as 1 day. 41 years, 8 months only 6 years from the voice saying, "If thou live till thou art 85 years old."
Hosea 6th chapter after 2 days &c. 2,520 years which brings it to 1890. Taylor says 45 years according to Bible reckoning. The coming of the Son of Man never will be, never can be, till the judgments spoken of for this /hour/ are poured out, which judgments are commenced. Paul says, "Ye are the children of the light and not of the darkness, that that day should not overtake us as a theif in the night."
It is not the design of the Almighty to come upon the earth and crush it and grind it to powder. He will reveal it to his servants the prophets. Others [talk?] like an ass. /O what wonderous wise men there are going about and braying like [an ass] cry[ing] O Lord, where is Joe Smith, Joe Smith? Whare /O/ away up on the top of the topless throne aha &c.
Jerusalem /must be/ rebuilt. /Judah returns, must return/ and the Temple water come out from under the temple. The /waters of the/ Dead Sea be healed. /It will take/ some time to build the walls and the Temple &c. All /this must be done before/ Son of Man /will make his appearance/. Wars and rumors of wars, signs in the Heavens above, on the earth beneath. Sun turned into darkness, moon to blood. Earthquakes in divers places, oceans heaving beyond their bound. There one grand sign of the Son of Man in heaven, but what will the world do? They will say it is a planet, a comet, &c. Consequently the sun of man will come as a sign. [The] coming of the son of man is as the light of the morning cometh out of the East. 10 minutes before 6 [P.M.] singing. Prayer by W[illia]m W Phelps. Adjourned to 10 A.M. tomorow. Sister Richards requested prayer for her health. (4)


Footnotes:
1 - Smith, George D (Spring 1994), "Nauvoo Roots of Mormon Polygamy, 1841-46: A Preliminary Demographic Report", Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 27
2 - The Parallel Joseph, http://www.boap.org/LDS/Parallel/
3 - BYU Studies Journal, volume 46, no. 4: A Chronology of the Life of Joseph Smith
4 - Faulring, Scott (ed.), An American Prophet's Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith: Joseph Smith Diary, 1843


LDS History Timeline
(coming to facebook and twitter on June 27th, 1843)

About this site: http://bit.ly/mohist

No comments:

Post a Comment