Mormon History, Oct 15, 1848 (Conference)

[Brigham Young Sermon] I approved of the course of brothers Pratt and Grouard and endorsed the spirit of their letter and told the elders nothing short of going through the same experience could enable them to realize the situation in which these brethren had been placed. Although we had written them many letters and sent package after package of books '" none had reached them: the Christian missionaries had taken care of them. We will release Brother Grouard and send Elder Pratt back accompanied by some good elders... I instructed the elders to meet in their quorum capacities and shake off the rust that was upon them, and learn whether the gifts of the gospel were alive in them... I informed the congregation that the pioneers, on their arrival in the valley were baptized and I counseled the saints on their arrival in these mountains to embrace the privilege. I announced that if I could get men enough to accompany me during the week I should go into the canyons with two teams for timber with which to build a bridge across the Jordan to accommodate the people. -- SLC Bowery [Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1847- 1850. William S. Harwell, ed. CollierÂ's Publishing, 1997.:130-131]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses]

No comments:

Post a Comment