Mormon History, Jul 28, 1848

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 28 { } Luther Scammans had 18 acres of stout wheat in the shock which he wanted to stack. So he rigged two teams And I took them into the field And during this day I pitched onto waggons the wheat which grew on twelve acres of Ground & A young man loaded it for me. Brothers Scammans & Carter put it into stacks as fast as we brought it in. Good judges of grain said it would yield 25 bushels to the acre. That being the case it would make 300 shock of wheat that I pitched onto the waggons in one day making 3,600 bundles. It was A vary hot day And I was not in good health. It was As much as A well man ought to have done in two days And it was imprudent in me doing it As I had done no hard labour for A length of time. At night I was sore from the crown of my head to the souls of my feet. I went to bed. My nerves were so unstrung I Could not sleep at all.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment