Mormon History, Sep 27, 1848

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 27 + I spent most of the day in worcester Attending the cattle Show. I saw some of the finest oxen I ever saw in my life. I saw one large Black ox that guirted 10 feet and weighed Alive 4,200, two Durham oxen which were two of three twins calved at a time. Weight lbs. 2,200, each, A Manmouth Durham Cow guirt 8 feet weight 2,500 lbs. And 3 durham twin Calves looked well. The Above was in A show. In the pens I saw A Black ox weight 2,767 his mate read ox 2,750 one yoke of read oxen the fattest I ever saw the yoke weight 5,110 lbs And one Durham Calf 7 months old weight 800 lbs.
During the evening I rode on the cars to North-bridge. The cars were all loaded down in such A manner that the Cars were loaded & crouded Almost to suffication. It was crouded out on the platform untill they were in dangers of falling off. I called upon Br Wm. Sweat at Joseph Aldridge And spent the night. 15 m.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment