Mormon History, Aug 6, 1848

[Hosea Stout Diary] Sunday Aug 6th 1848. This morning Carns and what few of his company were left with him went on & I & Josiah Arnold concluded to travil together and as my loading was considerably lightened for me to go with one yoke to each waggon & as his team was wore out for him to work my odd animal so as to release his partly and his boy Orson to drive one of my waggons & for us to travel no faster than our teams were able to go and try & make to the Sweet Water by the time President Young should get there. After which we went to let the Prest know that we would not now expect any assistance from him as he was scarce of teams.
We then returned & started on crossing the river at three trips and had hard drawing then. We then went on two miles & turned off to the river South & put up with Carn on a high bluff and turned our cattle over the river on good grass.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment