Mormon History, Feb 14, 1848

[Hosea Stout Diary] Mond Feb. 14th 1848. Rained last night. Warm day. South wind. Muddy roads.
Today E. H. Groves returned home from his mission to the Branches on the East side of the river to raise funds for the police. Calkins & Gardner both having previously returned. This ended their mission
The total amount subscribed by the brethren in the different branches for the police was 385 dollars and 53 cents. and the total amount collected and actually realized by the police was 378 dollars and 82 cents.only wanting 8 dollars 91 cents of being all collected.
This amount paid in corn Beans; potatoes, turnips, cabbage, buckwheat pork, Butter &c also in clothing to considerable amount.was an advantage to the police greater than any one could immagine who did not know their wants.
My proportion as divided by per cent on my dues amounted to about 65 dollars and had it not been for this assistance I could not have made my out fit to come West. It was from this fund that I procured means to hire a waggon to come in the want of which alone would have stoped me.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment