Mormon History, Nov 15, 1847

[Minutes, Quorum of Twelve] 1847 Nov[embe]r. 15-20 min[utes], to 1-
After meeting in the Council House-the brethren being cold. & [so they] adjourned to the Drs. office when Pres[iden]ts. [Brigham] Young, [Heber C.] Kimball, [Orson] Pratt, [Willard]
Richards, [George A.] Smith, [Amasa] Lyman, & [Ezra T.] Benson, also W[illiam]. W. Phelps, [and]
T[homas]. Bullock-
Professor Pratt read an extract from "Conyers Pamphlet" on the Hancock Mob-
T Bullock read the minutes of Nov[ember]. 13-also [a] letter to W[illia]m. Allred-
Pres[iden]t. of the Council at Council Point. A short conversation took place about last nights debate in the 70s on the Providence of God.
W W Phelps spoke of a line in St. John-"[T]here was a man sent from God["] /whose name was John/ & he slipt back again with his head cut off-[T]he old Hi[gh] Priest was slain between the Porch & the altar-
H. C. Kimball spoke of a revelation that the Lord gave the Church thus & so-
G. A. Smith says Luke tells it all out-& read the passage in John-
H. C. Kimball[:] "I make a motion that the Judge makes a cage, sends his Doves over to the Valley, & then take[s] a mission." W Richards seconded-carried-
W. W. Phelps[:] "I am ready for it"-[He then] told the tale of a man setting fire to the Prairie to cook a Buffalo Stick, & [he had to] run 7 miles before it was cooked-
H. C. Kimball-Well bro. Phelps, you have got the first mission-
W[ilford]. Woodruff came in [at] 20 min[utes]; past 1-
W W Phelps told his tale of the Boston Girls-[About] "putting chit in," & "heaving Sand in his eyes" & the picture of the Woman having "A Vail over Jerusalem". Brother Joseph told /taught/ me to "leave no tracks at all".
W Richards introduced a letter from G[eorge]. D. Watt with the Phonographic characters.
Conversation on the Mexican War B. Young[:] I call for Volunteers of the Twelve to go into the World a preaching.
G. A. Smith[:] "I am ready."
A. Lyman[:] "Here am I, send me."
O. Pratt-"So am I."
B. Young[:] I was wishing brother Amasa to go to England-
W Richards[:] It might suit bro. Amasa[ s] lungs to go to England.
O. Pratt[:] Whoever /of the 12/ goes to England I would wish him to get "The Lowdon Phi[lo]sophical transactions" printed by the Royal Society in London-[I]t would be an excellent work of reference in the Valley-
B. Young-[O]ur plans are [to] preach the Gospel & gather the people-also [to] have responsible men to preside-[W]e shall commence our tithing for the Temple right stout-
O. Pratt-Elder Hyde will volunteer to go I expect-
G. A. Smith[:] "I am just like a greasy rag-My feelings are to go over the mountains, but I am quite ready to go any where."
W Phelps[:] "I am in for it" as the Bee said when he got in the Tar Barrel-
O Pratt[:] "I feel like roaring, as I have something /to/ roar about"-
B. Young-There are principles to be weighed-[H]ow many of the Twelve can be spared to go-& Who shall go[?]-Is it absolutely necessary they sho[ul]d. go? Here is the Strongest hold the Mormons ever had on the opposite side of the River. [T]here will be Post offices-Land-office &c.
There [we] will want 5 to go over the mountain to form a Quorum.
O Pratt[:] Why can not we delegate one man to have all the power there-or 2 or 3[?]-
B. Young[:] It is my feeling that now is the time for us to say to the people, Come-& build a city-
E. T. Benson[:] If I have to go on a mission I wo[ul]d. rather go now than to have to travel 12 months-
B. Young[:] Bro Phelps, I want to ask you [a] question. [C]an the Twelve appoint a First Presidency[?] T Bullock Fetches the Book of Doc[trine] & Cov[enan]t[s].
W. Phelps [read] sec[tion] 3, Par[agraph] 11. [on] Page 102 [he] reads the Paragraph-/[M]y opinion is/ They have a right to appoint-with the voice of the people-[A]nother rev[elatio]n. shows this Presidency & the Twelve have the right to unlock the door to all nations. [T]hen [he] read Section 104 page 144 414.
O Pratt[: T]here is another Section on the building of the Nauvoo Temple-
B. Young reads[:] "Be not partial towards them["] &c, you see I am to admonish.
O Pratt thought he wo[ul]d. not have any thing on his mind but he wo[ul]d. tell this Quo[rum]. of it. If I am right this Quo[rum]. [will] know it-& if I am wrong, you can right me-I do differ in my views with bro Young in regard to that point-I have expressed my views on the other side of the mountain-[M]y sentiments are not changed-until I can get more truth. [I]f one of the Twelve considers [that] all the members of this Quorum have full fellowship in him-& if one of the Quo[rum] speaks evil of that other member, bef[ore] the Public-it is not admonishing him-but is speaking evil of him, & [it] causes the p[eo]pl[e] to have hard feelings aga[in]st. him-[T]he Pres[iden]t. is the mouth piece, but he has no right to chastise him behind his back-I do not bel[ieve] Pres[iden]t. Young has it in his heart to prejudice the minds of the p[eo]pl[e] ag[ain]st. any one of the Quo[rum].-but still it has that effect, & I consider it is materially wrong & I dont bel[ieve] that God is pleased with that way-Jos[eph] Smith taut us to hold the char[acter]s. of the Quo[rum] sacred-[D]ont weaken his influence, but bring him into the Council, shew him his error, & if he dont repent disfellowship him & then you can speak of him to the public-[B]efore this Council give[s] a judgment in the matter, I do consider they ought to give the member a chance to speak-& I consider that for his name to be brought before the public is not in accordance with the Sp[irit] of God-[H]ere is the place to agitate the question, & if I am not independent enough to express my sentiments & views I am not worthy to be a Councillor in this Quo[rum]-[I]t is the Pres[iden]ts. right to admonish us sharply-[B]ut in the Quo[rum]-I consider that from bro Benson to the oldest-all are equal-[B]ut age has given the Pres[idenc]y. to Pres[iden]t. Young & we have a right to correct him-[H]e is a member of this Council. If I am wrong I want you to correct me-
[C]hasten me, but you wont find me rebelling-
B. Young[:] I think just as you do & you think just as I do. & If I do wrong I want the Quo[rum]. to tell me of it. I want you all to be in the way so that you can always correct me-[I]f I take strength to myself you ought to have independence to correct me-I am perfectly willing for the Quo[rum] to decide-I want every man to tell his feelings.
O. Pratt[: T]here is no man in this Quo[rum] that I respect more than bro Young. & no man that I wo[ul]d. wish sooner to be at the head than bro Young. [H]e has a great anxiety on his mind- & altho I consider I have seen errors in him, I feel that I wo[ul]d. lay down my life for him, yet I feel for the rights of my bre[thre]n-& I am afraid it is weakening the influence of bro Young-[T]he love begins to weaken & ano[the]r. man who has always been held sacred bef[ore] the p[eo]pl[e] he may be afraid that he may be the next-[A]ltho I have done wrong & am aware of it, yet I never put my hand to any paper with his-but I do earnestly beseech the Pres[ide]nt not to bring me before the Public unless the Quo[rum] decide[s] I should be-
B. Young[: T]alk about it-or decide upon it without any talk-I want a decision-[N]ow bro Kimball, stand as Pres[iden]t. in this affair-so as to satisfy bro Orson[ s] car[e]s. if they are not satisfied-[N]ow brethren is your confidence weakening in me in consequence of my course[?]
G. A. Smith-If the Pres[iden]t. stept up snug-he wo[ul]d. give me some severe reproof-I got one in the Valley & I considered I deserved it [illegible] [blank] over the order of not working on the Sabbath day & also the order of Camp-I ought to learn to hold my tongue 0-I feel as bro Orson does-[W]e are all liable to be influenced by what is told me-[I]f I am wrong & a man tells me, I am ready to be righted-but if a man tells it before the public & chews me up I feel that man naturally wants to ruin me-I feel that every man in this Quo[rum]. is trying to back up the Pres[iden]t.-& in trying to support the body-[I]f I need chastisement I want to be chastised by the Quo[rum]-& not behind my back-[I]f there is any chastening, let it be in the Quo[rum]. & let me have it-[I]f it g
oes to my present views I sho[ul]d. like the Pres[iden]t. [to] respect the feelings of his bre[thren]., & if it is necessary to go bef[ore] the public-[L]et him make the confession & then be righted-& if it is by prejudice I should feel it-If Pres[iden]t. Young sho[ul]d. accuse me of being covetous bef[ore] the public I sho[ul]d. think he wanted to use me up-I sho[ul]d. want him to come & tell me himself. I am willing to be told by any of you-I have heard Joseph come out & hurt the feelings of his best friends-[W]ith regard to the prin[ciple]: if it is right for the Pres[iden]t. to take up any persons character bef[ore] the Public I will bear it as patiently as I can, but I am more of a babbler than bro. Orson-
W. Woodruff[: W]ith regard to bro Brigham, the Quo[rum] have always sustained him, [and] it has been a general principle [that] it is our duty to uphold him-[M]y feelings are similar to the others-[T]heir characters ought to be held up by the Pres[iden]t. in a similar way-[B]ro Young has sometimes occassionally given me a little touch-but it wo[ul]d. have a better effect if bro Young sho[ul]d. just step up to the bro. & tell him you are doing wrong-[I]t wo[ul]d. have a better effect of cementing them tog[ethe]r. [T]here has been more union in the Quo[rum] under br[ther] Young than under any o[the]r. man-[F]irst chastise him privately-then in the Quo[rum]. bef[ore]. it goes before the public-[S]ome persons may report things to bro Brigham & that may cause him to have prejudice against his bro. I feel it is his privilege to chastise every man-but he ought to come before me-before he brings me before the public-[H]e has been in the same situation as I now am-[I]f that course was to be pursued I sho[ul]d. be in fear & sho[ul]d. be expecting to hear my name next-
[I]f he comes to me I will humble myself & try to do better-[B]ro B. may have the reasons for doing it-
G. A. Smith-[A]s for saying bro. B[righam]. shall do so & so-& bro B[righam]. shall not do so & so-I do not believe in [it]-
O. Pratt[:] I may have not conveyed a correct idea-[I]t is our privilege to decide all these matters-I am not willing that our names sho[ul]d. be bro[ugh]t. before the public, until the Quo[rum]: had first decided it-[I]f the Quo[rum] decides a man is in transgression & ought to be chastised publicly, the Pres[iden]t. is the mouth piece to do it-
B. Young [: And] should he not speak the words of the Council[?]
O P.[:] Yes Sir-
A. Lyman. I feel disposed to sa[y] simply & plainly. if a br [M]y reason for speaking is not bec[ause]: I feel myself injured-but bec[ause]. I have sometimes been behind the Council in giving my opin[ion]-& I will use more liberty than I have done, & it ma[y] result in my benefit-[M]y feelings are as the brethren have expressed them-[T]hey are my natural feelings & I can control them. [I]t murders me to the bottom of my Soul to have my name bawled before the members of the Ch[urch]:-I have no fears about what may be said by this Quo[rum], concerning me.-[M]y feelings are if I do wrong I wo[ul]d. like to be told of my faults in the presence of my friends & the members of this Quo[rum] or in the presence of men who have judgment in the matter, nothing wo[ul]d. render me more unhappy-[E]ven from the days of my childhood it always murdered me-
I am a believer that a man sho[ul]d. govern his feelings & whatever the course may be, I shall do as I have done in relation to my own acts & to the principle of being admonished as a member of the Quo[rum]. I shall submit to the chastenings of the Council all the time-as I am not concerned that any injustice will come out, & the Int[erests]: of the K[ingdom] of God require, that we be united & continue united-[A]s to the existence of any intention thro out the Quo[rum]-of any feelings to injure or do wrong, I dont calculate there are things /wrong/ existing among us as a Quo[rum].- according to the knowledge we have of keeping ourselves right-I feel as bro Geo[rge]. expressed himself-& want a decision on the course of our Pres[iden]t. if you did not know before, you do now-[I]t makes me feel every way but well or happy-I never had any disposition to kick any body-[W]hat any mean scamp wo[ul]d. sa[y] I do not care at all, but when my friends speak of me I feel it. I have grown so & amo[n]gst the rest of the wrongs I hope that will be cured. & in the history of this p[eo]pl[e] I dont want to see a ruffle-[A]s to forcing any decision it is not in my heart to do it-
B. Young[: C]ome bre[thre]n, free your minds.
H. C. Kimball[:] I motion an adjournment.
W Woodr B. Young-[A] decision has got to be made one way or the other-[Y]ou have got to let me do as I have a mind to or place it somewhere else.
H C Kimball-[B]ro. Orson in his remarks wants a decision in the matter-[I]t is a hard case for us to decide. [B]ro B[righam]. is our Pres[iden]t. & our mouth piece-[and] if we decide he shall not act as he is led to speak we decide ag[ain]st. ourselves. I wo[ul]d. rather take 40-11 Scourges than decide. I am not going to decide where he shall chastise me. [L]et me pray to my Fart. [Father] to put the H[oly] G[host] into that man & tell that man what to say-If I rece[ive] a chastisement & it is not due me-I say its better to suffer wrong than do wrong-[L]et us rise up as men of God-& pray that the H[oly] G[host] may cause that man to speak so as to make the Earth to quake-God has revealed things to me in dreams &c-I submit myself into the hands of God & I pray you bre[thre]n, if you see me do wrong to tell me-[M]en have their feelings & their temptations & buffetings-I am aware Pres[iden]t. Young is a praying man & wants to do right-& I have said where is there a man that wo[ul]d. do any better[?]-I pity him-I see him in a dream & he was digging thro[ugh]
Iron bars-[L]et any of us be in his place & which can do any better[? I]f we do wrong Pres[iden]t.
Young knows it-but for me to decide on such a matter I shant do it-I say let the H[oly] G[host] direct in all matters & things.
B. Y.[:] I feel as I want some refreshment-I am willing this Quo[rum]. sho[ul]d. investigate it-or the Hi[gh] Council-or the People-
H. C. Kimball[: B]ro B[righam]. has spoken ab[ou]t. bro Taylor & bro Parley-[T]hey did a public thing & it needs a public rebuke-[I]t is for him to say what is right in all these matters-
W Richards[:] I move an adjournment till tomorrow at 10 00 A.M. G. A. Smith-I second it.
B. Young[:] I wonder if I have not the same feelings as any of you-I have felt more sarcastic insults from the Twelve than I ever received from Joseph-[I]t is for the Council to say whether I am prejudiced-I am biassed-you have either to tell me what I shall say for God-or else you will have to knuckle down-[I]f you will trammel yourselves worse than you trammel me-I am willing to have the Hi[gh] Council or the Church-[M]y feelings are as limber as any one-I am perfectly willing slo [to] just do as you please-I believe I know more about the Priesthood than all of you-I am just able to teach any of you-
Dr. Bernhisel & Ja[me]s. Whitehead came in-[at] 20 min[utes] past 4.

[source: Minutes, Quorum of Twelve]

No comments:

Post a Comment