Mormon History, Aug 6, 1847

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 6 I arose early this moring quite sore with my labour. I went into the valley for my horses & we could not find them. Some Indians had been [ ] camp this morning or rather in the night & left again & we supposed they had taken a drove of horses with them. So we sent our horsman & drove in all the Horses in the valley to see how many was gone, but much to our joy we found all of our horses was safe which increased our confidence in the Indians that were around us.
I had rode about 8 miles without a saddle which was wors than labour. We however got our teams together & Started for the mountains with 5 teams, & 4 teams went also for Dr Richards to draw logs for him. I sadled my horse & took my ax, & went to the timber before them, & before they arived I cut 5 large fir trees & when the teams came up the men assisted to cut up the trees & draw them out & load them & we laboured exeeding hard all day & we drew home during the day 52 logs great & small except one load that we left by the wayside untill morning.
This made 77 logs in two days that we Cut & drew home. In two days we got timber sufficient for two buildings each of us one. But I had laboured so hard during the two days I Could hardly stand upon my feet. I went to my waggon & flung myself upon my bed to rest.
I had not been on the bed but a short time before Br Kimball called upon me & informed me that the Twelve were going soon to the water to be Baptized for the remission of their sins to set an example to the Church As they would be called upon on Sunday morning to be baptized by the Twelve [all?] those that wished. We considerd this A duty & privlege as we come into a glorious valley to locate & build a temple & build up Zion we felt like renewing our Convenant before the Lord and each other.
We soon repaired to the water & President Brigham Young went down into the water & Baptized all his Brethren the Twelve that were with him by burying them in the water. He also confirmed us in the Church & sealed upon us our apostleship & all the keys, powers & Blessings belonging to that office.
Br Heber C. Kimball Baptized & Confirmed President Bringham Young. The following are the names of those present on this occasion: B Young H C Kimball O. Pratt W. Richards W. Woodruff G. A. Smith & A Lyman. Distance of the day 20.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment