Mormon History, Aug 5, 1847

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 5th + As we were under the necessity of returning soon & wanted some place to unload our goods that we had with us & those that were coming up we thought it best to go into the mountain & draw out logs & build us some Cabins as the doby houses might not be ready.
Brs Young & Kimball had Commenced drawing out logs for their buildings. Br G. A. Smith & myself concluded to join our efforts together & do what we Could. So I took my ax this morning & in company with G. A. Smith went to the mountain about 6 miles. We had several men with us to assist in Choping. We found a grove of fir trees that we thought would answer well. We had to make A road to it & bridges across the creek. I some dreaded the job, for it was a [hard?] one And I do not exercise the prudence that I ought when I taken hold of hard labour but do more than is good for me. I however commenced choping down trees & done much more work during the day than any other man on the ground.
We choped drew out more logs than to build one house [107] feet square & drew home to the fort 25 of them. I blisterd Up my hands & was vary weary at night. Distance of the day 14 m.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment