Mormon History, Aug 4, 1847

[Minutes, Quorum of Twelve] Aug[us]t 4. 1847 8 am At a meeting of the Council and others in the Bowery on the Temple Square of the City of Zion in the case of William Gribble versus William Tubbs, Sophia Gribble & Harriet Brown.
[A]ppeared W[illia]m. Gribble prosecutor-William Tubbs, Sophia Gribble, and Harriet Brown, Def[endan]ts.
Present of the Twelve[:] W[ilford]. Woodruff, A[masa]. Lyman, G[eorge]. A. Smith, O[rson]. Pratt, B[righam]. Young, W[illard]. Richards, H[eber]. C. Kimball.
T[homas]. Bullock called over names, all appeared, & answered-
O. Pratt called to order & then made prayer. Lieut[enan]t. Luddington was appointed Marshall for the day.
T. B. read the charge, & citation. A Lyman asked Sis Gribble & Brown whe[the]r. they were guilty or not guilty.
The Sisters said, "the charge agaisnt me is false"-
A. Lyman asked bro Tubbs what he had to say.
Tubbs said, "it is not so."
Clark Stillman[: B]eing on guard at Green River at 4 oclock I heard a noise in [the] tent, [and] went to the backside & lay down-N. V. Tubbs & these 2 women were present. Dan[ie]l.
Brown also-Mr. Tubbs was with Mrs. Tubbs /Brown/ [and] Mrs Tubbs /Brown/ said, "Quit, & let me alone[;] dont do it me to night, Sophia is willing." Mrs Brown said to Tubbs, I can go to sleep in 5 min[utes]: & take your hand away from it-Mr. Tubbs lay aside Mrs. Gribble. Mrs. G. said to Mrs.
B., "Harriet, Tubbs has the largest pecker you ever saw[;] it is a heap larger & bigger than Gribbles or Davis"-& Mrs B. asked if he had got 2 Stones-[S]he said "yes, & 2 big on[e]s[;] get up & feel"-Mrs B got up & felt & then ret[urne]d to her husband. [blank] Mr. Tubbs went thro his performance with Mrs Gribble. [W]hen he got thro Miss G remarked it was a heap bigger than Gribbles-[T]hey talked of marriage-Tubbs said when we got to Camp we ll find some one to marry us-Tubbs then opened the back of [the] Tent & saw me. Mr. Tanner was in front of [the] tent, & I at the back. Tubbs saw Tanner on the Wagon tongue, he then crawled out on his hands & knees at the back of tent. I charged him why he was out so late at night, /he said/ he was out visiting & [there was] no harm in that.
Sophia Gribble[:] I have no questios to ask. Pres[iden]t. Young dismissed him.
Myron Tanner[:] I was posted at [the] upper end of [the] row. Clark came & told me what he has now said-I waked up the Sergeant-I heard them whispering. The Serg[ean]t told us to take him when he came out. I heard Tubbs crawl out of [the] back side of [the] tent. [H]e said he was not out later than any others was-[I]t was 15 min[utes] to 11 by my watch. I heard them whispering very low. I did not see any improper conduct. I did not come until what Clark has said was all over. I was on one hand & knee listening when they were whispering.
Se[r]g[ean]t Ebenezer Hanks[:] I ord[ere]d. the men on guard-
Daniel Brown[:] I was in the tent not asleep & such talk & conversat[tio]n. was not in the tent-I am the husband. I was awake all the time-[B]ro Tubbs was in the tent.-[H]e was talking all the evening-he went out at [the] back side [and the] tent was open at both ends-the front was pinned-it was after [?].
Thomas Williams-[T]his conversat[io]n. was said to be on Green River-I heard of it on Black s Fork-[H]e told it diff[eren]t. [then] to what he does to day-[H]e then said it was [blank]
[and] he told some of the roughest talk I ever heard.
Wm. Gribble[:] I spoke to bro Stillman the day after it happened-[H]e told me the same then as he has said today.
William Tubbs[:] I have nothing to say.
Mrs Gribble-Mr. Stillman has made some mistakes-[I]t was me who looked out-Richard Smith (not in Church) was there all the time, & staid after Wm. Tubbs left here.
Serjt. Williams.[:] I have seen Smith, [and] he says he knows nothing about it. /Pres[iden]t Young asked/ Sis Gribble.[:] Have you ever mingled improperly with W. Tubbs.
Ans[wer]: I have talked with him & nothing more.
Sis Brown-I was lying with my husband & as to any such conversat[io]n. in my tent, its no such thing-I have never seen any thing out of the way. /Pres[iden]t. Young/[:] Wm. Tubbs, can you sa[y] with uplifted hands to heaven that you have never had any improper intercourse-[H]ave you transgressed the law in the least[?] /W. Tubbs/[:] (I have taken improper liberties that I ought not to have done. I have talked improper language.)
O Pratt requested to know wherein he had improper liberti intercourse with Sis Gribble-
W. Tubbs did not wish to sa[y] any thing further to da[y].
B. Y[: A]s to [this] conversat[io]n., somebody lies like the devil. I am confident-those who are out of the wa[y] its best for them to make confession, so that the darkness does not inc: on them, until it bursts, & then it will be shewn in its true light. We have a ri[gh]t. to inquire into the conduct & stand[in]g. of every man, woman, & child with[ou]t. any charge being preferred. [I]t is my r[igh]t. to inquire of every one, so that they go not out of the wa[y]-[I]t is our duty to [blank] try to lead all to righteousness. [I]f you are disposed to tell bro Pratt, its all ri[gh]t.-its our bus[iness]: to put all p[e]rsons on the track of salvat[io]n. [I]ts all incorporated in the life of [a] man. I am almost digged /disposed/ to dig out some things.
Pres[iden]t. Young spoke to Brown when Brown replied, we have not lived as comfortable as we ought-[S]he says she does not intend to live with me any longer than till her parents (Sis St.
John) come-[I]f she is not satisfied with me, she must try again.
B. Y.[: T]here are some difficulties in the way-[B]ro Gribble dont live with his Wife- something [is] wrong-[T]hey are motes in the begin[nin]g. but they will am[oun]t. to a great deal afterwards.
H. C. Kimball to bro Tubbs & those concerned. [I]ts my advice-I am for Sal[vatio]n. & never had any o[the]r. intentions since I came into the Ch[urch]-[A]ny man or woman who varies from right are destined for damn[ation]. If I violated my Cov[e]n[ant]. I wo[ul]d. come bef[ore]. my bre[thre]n & tell [them] all ab[ou]t. [it], if there was a chance of Sal[vatio]n. I sho[ul]d. want it-& if it was to take my head of[f] my shoulders its better for me to die than to go to hell-I sa[y] this to bro Tubbs & those concerned-for it will turn to rust & corrupt[io]n.-I sa[y] bro Tubbs now save yourself-tell it to the Council & they[ l]l save you-unless you have sinned unto death.
O. Pratt[:] I agree with w[ha]t. brs Y[oung]. & K[imball] have stated-[T]he test[imon]y. is contradictory-& by it we cannot judge-but by acknowledg[men]t or o[the]r. circumstances-[B]ro Tubbs stated he had taken improper liberties-[A] man ma[y] take improper liberties with anot[he]r. man s wife & yet not be so sinful as o[the]r. liberties-If there is any truth in the Cov[enan]ts. they are very sacred & we know the consequences of breaking those Cov[enan]ts. & the extent of their liberties is known to both-If I had been overtaken in a fault-I wo[ul]d. go r[igh]t. to the Council & seek for Sal[vatio]n. & know what was to be done under the circ[umstanc]es.
Tubbs & Sis Gribble & Brown have be[e]n in the Temple in Nauvoo.
A. Lyman wished the case was o[the]rwise than it is. They have intruded themselves in my wa[y]-un [In] the disagreeable nature of the circ[umstanc]es, I was in hopes it co[ul]d. be adjusted-[O]ne fact is obvious-somebody has lied & somebody is in fault., & the sin of lying is on the head of some one & I want that individual to tell of it-[And] if its one of the witnesses & is is sufficiently humbled to ack[nowled]ge. [h]is fault we sho[ul]d. then [k]no[w] what to do in the o[the]r. course. I wo[ul]d. suppose bro Tubbs himself wo[ul]d. not put up the plea of ignorance. I still hope that bro Tubbs will inform the Council [of] his transgression, for he has ack[nowled]g[ed]. he has transg[resse]d. I hope that cases of this kind will be very few, for it is a tax on me to be a hearer.
B. Y. asked[:] "Have you, Wm. Tubbs, or Sis Gribble had any talk of gett[in]g. marr[ie]d?["]
Wm. Tubbs[: T]here has been some such talk.
Have you asked any Elder to marry you & Sis Gribble? Tubbs, "providing it was right."
[D]id you think you was doing ri[gh]t. /to marry her/ when
she belonged to her husband?
[Tubbs,] I did not think so.
Sis Gribble, have you & bro Tubbs made any contract? or Cov[enan]t. or agreement?
[Gribble,] No Cov[enan]t. that I know of. [T]here has been a talk, providing it was right.
Was you marr[ie]d. by the Priesthood[?]-I was marr[ie]d, by P. Pratt bef[ore]: I was in [the] temple by her my Father Alanson Smith at his house.
B. Y.[:] I know what ought to be done-[T]ake a rod & whip the children & send them home-but as it is men & women it alters the face of the matter. [B]r. Gribble makes a charge & proved it-the testimony is rebutted,-& then one of the parties partly confess[es] it. I am unable to dig roots today-[J]ust drop this case-[R]efrain from evil & learn to do well-[L]et the thing rest at present-
W. R.[: T]hat meets my mind, somebody is in fault & the time will come that it will come out more public[ly].
W. W. is satisfied with that course-
Wm. Tubbs requested bro Kimball to step on one side-Pres[iden]t. Young allowed 15 minutes.-
Tubbs then said he wo[ul]d. tell the council the whole story from begin[nin]g. to end, & not bef[ore]: the Congregation-
B. Y.[:] I am disposed to drop this for the present-[T]he Council voted it by uplifted hands.
[T]he Council can call it up any time they have a mind to-
Go thy way Sisters, & Sin no more-[D]o right all, every one of you.
Robert Crow v William Terrill Appeal of Terrill for a rehearing-Terrill hav[in]g. been cut off at Pueblo. for stealing Powder from crow.
B. Y.[: I]t was my conclusion that you & the o[the]r. man was confederate in stealing bro Crow s Powder-[N]ow go & tell bro Crow where you got it, tell him like a child, & he will be ready to hear your statements & do right-[And] when you can get proof, come before the Council & tell all about it, where the judgment can be overruled that was given at Pueblo, that would satisfy us, & you would be justfied.
Dismissed at 8 min[utes] past 11-
Aug[us]t. 4. 1847. 5 P.M. At a meeting in the Tent, in the Circle-Present[:] B[righam]. Young, H[eber]. C. Kimball, W[illard]. Richards, O[rson]. Pratt, A[masa]. Lyman and-Tho[ma]s Bullock.
William Tubbs wished to sa[y that] inasmuch as he has been out of the wa[y] I want forgiveness. I had [a] convers[ati]on with the woman in Pueblo-some said it was bad Co[mpany]. for me to be with-the Stories ab[ou]t. this woman I did not bel[ieve]. I conversed with her & said things I ought not t[o have said]. I was caught in a Snap with the Woman-she agreed to be my Comp[anion]. as she cons[idere]d. she was free. I told her if she calculated not to live with Gribble any more I wo[ul]d. marry her. [S]he said I swear bef[ore] God & man I will have no o[the]r. man but you. I had connections with her at that time-[S]he wants that she & me ma[y] be one, as she co[ul]d. live with me & be happy. [S]he went into the Temple with Gribble. [H]er friends were at Lamoreaux s in Nauvoo. /My Uncle/ Amos Tubbs is my only relative in [the] Western world. I am 23 years old. Mrs. Gribble was not living with her husband at the time-[H]e took her clothing & sold them to the Indians-[S]he wants to stick to me now. [S]he told me so half an hour ago. [H]er Father married them & afterwards wanted her to leave Gribble & not come West with him-I dont think she has been with more than one man on this journey. I never heard a prayer, [and] after[wards] ret[urne]d. with Lieut[enan]t. Willis.-
A. Lyman[: M]y feelings are to have right go first-I dont feel disposed to be intolerant, its a serious matter-or wo[ul]d. be for me. [I]f he wo[ul]d. do r[igh]t from this time forw[ar]d. I wo[ul]d be glad to see it, & act riteously. [I]t wo[ul]d. be a pity for him to go to hell afte being a Mormon [for] so long-& yet I wo[ul]d. hate him to continue in iniquity, for that wo[ul]d. dam him eternally.
H. C. Kimball. bro Wm., I sho[ul]d. not wonder but you will suffer the same fate-[W]hen you have a woman that you love, some one else ma[y] run awa[y] with her-& then you will feel as bad as Gribble. I sho[ul]d sa[y] to you go away you rascal & drop your feelings & dont let them have master of you-

[source: Minutes; Minutes]

No comments:

Post a Comment