Mormon History, Mar 7, 1846

[Hosea Stout Diary] Saturday March the 7th 1846. This morning orders came for the camp to move and we all made arraingements accordingly. We expected to go only about seven miles where we expected to make a lot of rails.I here had to leave part of the guard some to finish some work and Capt Duncan Mc[.] Arthur of the fourth fifty because I had to take three yoke of his oxen to put on the big waggon which I had brought up last night.I only took Capt Jones & the second fifty
It was a fine clear pleasant day & good roads[.] We started at eleven oclock and traveled fast and easy. About one oclock I came to the place in advance of the guard where the rails were to be made and found Col Rockwood locating the camp.He set apart a beautiful ridge for me to encamp where I pitched my tent as for many days but about the time that President Brigham Young came up he recieved a letter from Col Scott of the Artillery who went on yesterday informing him of better prospects where he washe concluded to go on at this time most of his company & the Band were already located and knew nothing of his new arraingements.This threw every thing into confusion
Some of the guard without my knowledge went on and Brighams Company as soon as they learned that he had gone on also struck their tents & went on.
When I had learned how matters had turned also went on with the guard. We proceded along a bad road to the place where Scott was encamped.This was at Richesons Point and fifty-five miles from Nauvoo.We came here about dark and encamped
The Band staid back at the place I had put up at today. Today my wife was so much afflicted with a pain in her right side that she was unable to set up in the waggon and we had to make a bed for her to lie in but notwithstanding all of our care the traveling to day injured her very much[.] Here I found Scott who had taken a job of rails and I agreed to help him.All else passed off well to day We found feed scarce but I sold a bed stead which I had along for eight bushels of corn which made a feed for the guard tonight.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment