Mormon History, Mar 19, 1846

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 19th I arose. Took an early breakfast with Phebe. Engaged a cabman to take me to the station at 7 oclok but he did not come. I went after another & he agreed to come immediately. I returned And found the first Cab man there. Had to pay him and sent him off. The next one Came but not in time for me to get the first train so I had to wait at the station from 7 to 10 oclok. We then took Cars. Rode to Springfield. 100 miles. Paid $3.15. Took Cars. Rode to Hartford And New Britain. 35 miles. Paid $1.00. At New Britain I Hiered a Carriage to go 5 miles to Father Woodruff to Farmington. Paid $1.25. Other expenses 75 cts.
The road was bad over the Mountain. We went slow. It was night and dark And Chilly. I carried Phebe in my armes. I took Cold. I Arived at Father Woodruff about 8 oclok in the evening Almost exhausted with hard travelling forced marches &c. Phebe seemed at first much better than I did. She was quite sprightly. We all got some supper & I Put Phebe to bed. I found she had taken Cold And Complained of being sore. She also cried for her Mother the first time she had cried since I started. But she soon fell asleep And I went to bed almost sick.
I was Called up before day light As Phebe had the diarhea vary bad And some fever And we were afraid she would be sick but she arose quite Cheerful in the morning. I lay down again And had a sleep.
Distance from Boston to Farmington 150 mile. Fare & all expenses $7.15.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment