Mormon History, Mar 14, 1846

Revelation to Orson Hyde, member of the Quorum of the Twelve, received at Nauvoo, Illinois, on 14 March 1846
In my meditations, this morning, the Spirit of the Lord came upon me, and I was moved to write: and being grieved in my spirit on account of false pretences [pretenses] by evil designing persons to gain power, and lead away the flock of God; It whispered me and said:
Evil men, ambitious of power, must needs arise among you, and they shall be led by their own self-will and not by me. Yet they are instruments in my hands, and are permitted to try my people, and to collect from among them those who are not the elect, and such as are unworthy of eternal life. Grieve not after them, neither mourn nor be alarmed. My people know my voice and also the voice of my spirit, and a stranger they will not follow, therefore such as follow strangers are not my people. Behold James J. Strang hath cursed my people by his own spirit and not by mine. Never at any time have I appointed that wicked man to lead my people, neither by my own voice, nor by the voice of my servant Joseph Smith, neither by the voice of mine angel: but he hath sought to deceive and Satan helpeth him; but before of old was he one that was ordained to gather the tares of the field, and mine angels have chosen him to do it because he was a wicked man, even as Judas was chosen to
betray his Lord. But his spirit and ambition shall soon fail him, and then shall he be called to judgment and receive that portion which is his mete, and his treacherous followers, who have forsaken the counsel of their brethren and turned from the covenants of their God, and have cast asunder the tenderest ties, must drink from a bitter cup.
Let no man who putteth his trust in me be troubled about his rights. The worthy shall have their rights and no power can prevent it, for I will give them the hearts of my people, and their voice is my voice, even as my voice is the voice of my father; and what they bind on earth I will bind in heaven. But the unworthy have no rights except these, repentance or condemnation. If they act upon the former, behold they are justified, but if not, they must suffer the consequences of the latter.
By this you may know the unworthy among my people: for whomsoever they reject, the same are rejected of me. And woe to such as shall follow him who hath been rejected by my people. If my people sin I will correct and chasten them because I love them, yet I will not reject them, neither give my kingdom to other people, for behold the end draweth nigh, and judgement will I pour out upon your oppressors and upon those who accuse you to hide their own iniquity and their shame, and to get power for unholy purposes and not for the building up of my kingdom. Let such beware lest they fall by the hand of the destroyer, whose arrows are plague and pestilence, before their designs are accomplished.
Let my saints gather up with all consistent speed and remove westward, except such as are counselled to tarry and must needs remain to settle the[i]r business according to the counsel of my servant JOSEPH SMITH, in the day that he was with you in the flesh, and also to the counsel of my servants, the Twelve whom I have chosen, and who have abode in me.
Let there be no more disputes or contentions among you about doctrine or principle, neither who shall be greatest, but hearken to those things which I have spoken unto you, and which have before been given and you shall rest in my kingdom, and have glory and honour for ever and ever--Yea! Saith the Spirit, and the Spirit is truth, and the truth abideth for ever: Amen.
("He that hath ears to hear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the Churches," Latter-Day Saints' Millennial Star 7 (15 May 1846):157-58, emphasis omitted; also published as a broadside at Nauvoo, Illinois, 14 March 1846.)

[source: Marquardt, H. Michael, http://www.xmission.com/~research/central/revel2.htm]

No comments:

Post a Comment