Mormon History, May 26, 1844 (Sunday Morning)

-- May 26, 1844 (Sunday Morning)
[Joseph Smith Sermon] (Source: Thomas Bullock Diary 12 -Words of Joseph Smith, 377) At the Stand recording J. Smith's sermon. (1)

-- May 27, 1844
Joseph Smith goes to Carthage (after avoiding arrest) to face indictments for perjury and adultery. Returned same day, as they were not ready for a trial [per Joseph Smith]. (2)

[Joseph Smith] Joseph starts out toward Carthage on horseback with several friends to meet the indictments head on. Soon after the Prophet reaches Hamilton's hotel, Charles A. Foster catches up with him, telling him there is a conspiracy against his life. He decides to leave for home as soon as he gets his bail. Samuel H. Smith of Montebello, hearing that Joseph is being held prisoner in Carthage, rides there immediately with twenty-five men. Joseph arrives home the next day. (3)

Nauvoo, Illinois. Joseph Smith, accompanied by friends, went to Carthage, Illinois, to attend the circuit court in answer to certain indictments against him. (4)

[Joseph Smith Diary] Monday, May 27th 1844 About 8 o'clock I started on horse back with a few friends and passing by the Temple pursued my course to/wards/ Carthage thinking it best to meet my enemies before the Court and have my Indictments investigated. After I had passed my farm on the prairie /most of/ the following brothers joined me and the remainder soon after my arrival at Carthage: Aaron Johnson, Dr. Bernhisel, Joseph Coolidge, John Hetfield, O[rrin] P[orter] Rockwell, Lorenzo Rockwell, W[illia]m Walker, Harrison Sagers, Hyrum Smith, J[ohn] P. Green, John Green, Judge Richards, [Edward] Bonny, [Joseph B.] Nobles, Shadrach Roundy, Theodore Turley, Jedediah Grant, John Lytle, [Lucien] Woodworth, C[ornelius]. P. Lot, J[onathan]. Dunham and 2 or 3 more.

Arrived at "A. Hamilton's Carthage Hotel" about noon. Charles A. Foster come up with us 3 or 4 miles from the city and accompanied us to Carthage. Had considerable conversation and he appeared more mild than he had done [been] and as though he was almost persuaded he had been influenced by false reports to some extent.

Joseph Jackson, F[rancis] M. Higbee, and C[hauncey] L. Higbee were in A. Hamilton['s] Hotel when we arrived. Soon after our arrival Cha[rle]s A. Foster took me in a private room /as a friend/ and told me there was a conspiracy against my life. R[obert] D. Foster told some of the brethren there was evil determined against me (and that with tears in his eyes) and that there were those who were determined I should not go out of the village alive &c. Jackson was seen loading his pistol and swore he would have satisfaction of me and Hiram. I had [a] short interview with Judge Thomas who treated me with the utmost courtesy. He is a great man and a gentleman. After dinner (at the 2d or 3d table) we retired to our room and [as] Jackson who had been to the court house come towards the Hotel, some one told him Hyrum had arrived. When he turned immediately towards the Court House again. My Lawyers Messers Richardson, Babbit, and Skinner used all reasonable exertion to bring /forward/ m
y trial for Perjury but the prosecution party was not ready for trial. (One Withers a material witness was absent as they said) My attorney called frequently to report the state of the court and I was ready to join but the case was defer[r]ed till next term and I was left to give bail to the Sherif[f] at his option and he told me I might go home and he would call and take bail some time.

We immediately called for our horses and while they were harnessing C[hauncey] L. Higbee come to me and wanted I should stay as a witness in a certain case where he was employed and urged me considerably but I told him I did not recollect the occurance particularly enough to testify on the case and got him to excuse me. 4 1/2 [P.M.] We started and when we had got to Bro[ther] Grant's the rain commenced and I went into the house while most of the brethren went into the barn. While the shower abated as we left the tavern and passed the court House there were many people about in groups and Jackson stood on the green with one or 2 men some distance off. After the storm had subsided, we went forward and I and Hyrum and some others arrived at home about 9 o'clock and my carriage and J. B. Nobles a little while after. My carriage was upset on the Temple Hill but no one hurt. I rode on horseback all the way ([on] Joe Dunkin). Found Emma sick on my return.

While at Hamilton's C[hauncey] L. Higbee offered some insulting language concerning me to O[rrin] P[orter] Rockwell who resented it nobly as a friend ought to do. When Hamilton seeing it [he] turned Rockwell out of doors.

R[obert] D. Foster, Cha[rle]s A. Foster, Rolloson and Higbee were on the hill when I passed[, in the morning, and] as it was afterwards reported by Flack [they] gathered their pistols and horses and were in Carthage before me except Charles Foster.

Samuel Smith of Montebello heard at five in the morning that I had been taken prisoner to Carthage by mob [and] immediately gathered a co[mpany] of 25 men and arrived at Carthage about the time I did for the purpose of assisting me. (5)

-- May 28, 1844
[Joseph Smith Diary] Tuesday, May 28th 1844 At home. Rain in the P.M. (5)

-- May 29, 1844
[Joseph Smith Diary] Wednesday, May 29th 1844 At home. Dr. Luther W. Hi[ck]ock of Burlington, come in and arrested Jeremiah Smith on a warrant from Nathaniel Pope, Judge U.S. Circuit Court. During our conversation in the afternoon we learned to our Mutual joy that we were of one origin in our grandfathers, father Anthony Smith of Glasgow, Scotland. Rain A.M. (5)


Footnotes:
1 - The Woodland Institute, http://www.woodlandinstitute.com
2 - Tidd, N. R., "Mormon Chronology"
3 - Conklin, Christopher J., Joseph Smith Chronology
4 - Joseph Smith Resource Center: Daily Events in the Life of Joseph Smith, http://josephsmith.net/josephsmith/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=e581001cfb340010VgnVCM1000001f5e340aRCRDlocale=0
5 - Faulring, Scott (ed.), An American Prophet's Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith: Joseph Smith Diary, 1844, http://amzn.to/jsdiaries


LDS History Timeline
About this site: http://bit.ly/mhist

No comments:

Post a Comment