Mormon History, May 25, 1844

-- May 25, 1844
[Joseph Smith Diary] Saturday, May 25th 1844 At home. Keeping out of the way of expected arrests from Carthage. Towards night the grand jury [members] Hunter [and] Marks returned from Carthage also Marshal Green and A[lmon] M. Babbit. [They] informed me [there] were 2 indictments found against me. One for false swearing by R[obert] D. Foster and Joseph Jackson and one for polygamy or something else by the Laws, the particulars of which I shall learn more hereafter. Much hard swearing before Grand Jury. Francis M. Higby swore so hard that I [understand he] had to [be] removed[, he says that I steal] states property &c. His testimony was rejected.

2 P.[M.] Joseph Jackson come in town/as I heard/. I instructed the officers to have him arrested for threatening life &c. Had a long talk with Hunter Marks, Babbit, Hyrum, Bonney, Dr. Richards, Roundy &c. and concluded not to keep out of their way any longer.

2 P.M. Council [of Fifty met] in my north Room. Letter from Hyde. Ordered an answer. Also made arrangements to have me [succeed Rigdon as postmaster to] have [control of] post office. Adjourned /to Friday next/week 2 o'clock. W[illard] Richards writes to Hyde for Council [of Fifty]. (1)

-- May 25, 1844, Sunday
[William Clayton Writings] Saturday 25. A.M. at Prest J's Also P.M in council with the quorum. (2)

-- May 26, 1844
[Brigham Young] --26-- We reached Cincinnati; Brother Kimball and I went on shore and visited the brethren, and held a meeting with the elders on the 27th, at eight a.m. At ten a.m. proceeded on our way to Pittsburgh; Brother Lyman Wight preached on board; arrived at six p.m. on the 30th. (3)

[Joseph Smith Diary] Sunday, May 26th 1844 10 A.M. Preached at the stand about /Joseph/ Jackson and the mobocrats. Rode out in the P.M. Esq[ui]r[e] Richardson called on me with Babbit my Lawyers. A man came to me and said Eagle with others were intending to take Jeremiah Smith away in the night. I stationed the police to protect him. (1)

[Lucy Mack Smith] In a public discourse, "Joseph Smith denied specific rumors [about polygamy] but did not deny that he had had a revelation on plural marriage and had begun that practice. Afterward the Expositor published details of the revelation, but again the Prophet said nothing publicly to refute it" (R. L. Anderson, "Joseph Smith's Final," 331n12). (4)

-- May 26, 1844 (Sunday Morning)
[Joseph Smith Sermon] (Source: History of the Church, 6:408-12 -Words of Joseph Smith, 373-77) President Joseph Smith read the 11th Chapter II Corinthians. My object is to let you know that I am right here on the spot where I intend to stay. I, like Paul have been in perils, and oftener than anyone in this generation. As Paul boasted, I have suffered more than Paul did. I should be like a fish out of water, if I were out of persecutions. Perhaps my brethren think it requires all this to keep me humble. The lord has constituted me so curiously that I glory in persecution. I am not nearly so humble as if I were not persecuted. If oppression will make a wise man mad, much more a fool. If they want a beardless boy to whip all the world, I will get on the top of a mountain and crow like a rooster: I shall always beat them. When facts are proved, truth and innocence will prevail at last. My enemies are no philosophers: they think that when they have my spoke under, they will keep m
e down; but for the fools, I will hold on and fly over them.

God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil-all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet. You know my daily walk and converstion. I am in the bosom of a virtuous and good people. How I do love to hear the wolves howl! When they can get rid of me, the devil will also go. For the last three years I have a record of all my acts and proceedings, for I have kept several good, faithful, and efficient clerks in constant employ: they have

accompanied me everywhere, and carefully kept my history, and they have written down what I have done, where I have been, and what I have said; therefore my enemies cannot charge me with any day, time, or place, but what I have written testimony to prove my actions; and my enemies cannot prove anything against me. They have got wonderful things in the land of Ham. I think the grand jury have strained at a gnat and swallowed the camel.

A man named Simpson says I made an affidavit against him, &c. Mr. Simpson says I arrested him. I never arrested Mr. Simpson in my life. He says I made an affidavit against him in my life. I will prove it in court. I will tell you how it was: Last winter I got ready with my children to go to the farm to kill hogs. Orrin P. Rockwell was going to drive. An Englishman came in and wanted a private conversation with me. I told him I did not want any private conversations. "I demand one of you!" Such a one I am bound to obey anyhow. Said heâ€""I want a warrant against the man who stabbed Brother Badham. He said it was a man who boarded at Davis'. He said it was Mr. Simpsonâ€"it answered his description. I said I had no jurisdiction out of the city. He saidâ€""The man must be arrested, or else he will go away." I told himâ€""You must go to Squire Wells, Johnson, or Foster." Mr Lytle stepped up and saidâ€""I am a policeman." I jumped into my carriage, and away I went.

When I came back I met Mr. Jackson. He saidâ€""You did wrong in arresting Mr. Simpson." I told him I did not do it. I went over and sat down, and related the circumstances. He turned round and saidâ€""Mr. Smith, I have nothing against you; I am satisfied." He went and supped with me. He declared in the presence of witnesses, that he had nothing against me. I then saidâ€""I will go over to Esquire Johnson, and testify what the Englishman told me." I told him not to make out that I believe he is the man, but that I told him not to make out that I believe he is the man, but that I believe he is innocent. I don't want to swear that he is the man. Messrs. Coolidge, Rockwell, Hatfield, and Hawes were present.

Mr. Johnson made one out in due form: and as I sat down in a bustle the same as I do when one of the clerks brings a deed for me to sign. Johnson read it. I saidâ€""I can't swear to that affidavit; I don't believe it: tear up that paper." Mr. Simpson agreed to come before Badham and make it up. I did not swear to it.

After a while, Dr. Foster and others came in. They called me up to testify. I told it all the same as I do here. Mr. Simpson rose up, and askedâ€""Do you believe now that I am the man who stabbed Mr. Badham?" I repliedâ€""No sir, I do not now, nor ever did: the magistrate says I did not swear to it." He considered, and made a public declaration that he was satisfied with me.

Aaron Johnson went before the grand jury and swore I did not swear to it, when Dr. Foster goes and swears that I swore to it, and that he was in the room when he was not in. Chauncey wanted me to stay and have a conversation. Dr. Foster asked Aaron Johnson for the writ and affidavit. He handed them to Dr. Foster, who read them, and hten threw them into the fire. I saidâ€""Doctor, you ought not to have burned it; it was my paper." Dr. Foster goes to the grand jury and swears he did not burn only one; but I say he burnt both. This is a fair sample of the swearing that is going on against me.

The last discharge was the 40th; now the 41st, 42nd, 43rd; all through falsehood. Matters of fact are as profitable as the Gospel, and which I can prove. You will then know who are liars, and who speak the truth I want to retain your friendship on holy grounds.

Another indictment has been got up against me. It appears a holy prophet has arisen up, and he has testified against me: the reason is, he is so holy. The Lord knows I do not care how many churches are in the world. As many as believe me, may. If the doctrine that I preach is true, the tree must be good. I have prophesied things that have come to pass, and can still.

Inasmuch as there is a new church, this must be old, and of course we ought to be set down as orthodox. From henceforth let all the churches now no longer persecute orthodoxy. I never build upon any other man's ground. I never told the old Catholic that he was a fallen true prophet God knows, then, that the charges against me are false.

I had not been married scarcely five minutes, and made one proclamation of the Gospel, before it was reported that I had seven wives. I mean to live and proclaim the truth as long as I can.

This new holy prophet has gone to Carthage and swore that I had told him that I was guilty of adultery. This spiritual wifeism! Why, a man dares not speak or wink, for fear of being accused of this.

William Law testified before forty policemen, and the assembly room full of witnesses, that he testified under oath that he never had heard or seen or knew anything immoral or criminal against me. He testified under oath that he was my friend, and not the "Brutus." There was a cogitation who was the "Brutus." I had not prophesied against William Law. He swore under oath that he was satisfied that he was ready to lay down his life for me, and he swears that I have committed adultery.

I wish the grand jury would tell me who they areâ€"whether it will be a curse or blessing to me. I am quite tired of the fools asking me.

A man asked me whether the commandment was given that a man may have seven wives; and now the new prophet has charged me with adultery. I never had any fuss with these men until that Female Relief Society brought out the paper against adulterers and adulteresses.

Dr. Goforth was invited into the Laws' clique, and Dr. Foster and the clique were dissatisfied with that document, and they rush away and leave the Church, and conspire to take away my life; and because I will not countenance such wickedness, they proclaim that I have been a true prophet, but that I am now a fallen prophet.

Jackson has committed murder, robbery, and perjury; and I can prove it by half-a-dozen witnesses. Jackson got up and saidâ€""By God, he is innocent," and now swears that I am guilty. He threatened my life.

There is another Law, not the prophet, who was cashiered for dishonesty and robbing the government. Wilson Law also swears that I told him I was guilty of adultery. Brother Jonathan Dunham can swear to the contrary. I have been chained. I have rattled chains before in a dungeon for the truth's sake. I am innocent of all these charges, and you can bear witness of my innocence, for you know me yourselves.

When I love the poor, I ask no favors of the rich. I can go to the crossâ€"I can lay down my life; but don't forsake me. I want the friendship of my brethren.â€"Let us teach the things of Jesus Christ. Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a downfall.

Be meek and lowly, upright and pure; render good for evil. If you bring on yourselves your own destruction, I will complain. It is not right for a man to bear down his neck to the oppressor always. Be humble and patient in all circumstances of life; we shall then triumph more gloriously. What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one.

I am the same man, and as innocent as I was fourteen years ago; and I can prove them all perjurers. I labored with these apostates myself until I was out of all manner of patience; and them I sent my brother Hyrum, whom they virtually kicked out of doors.

I then sent Mr. Backenstos, when they declared that they were my enemies. I told Mr. Backenstos that he might tell the Laws, if they had any cause against me I would go before the Church, and confess it to the world. He [William Law] was summoned time and again, but refused to come. Dr. Bernhisel and Elder Rigdon know that I speak the truth. I cite you to Captain Dunham, Esquires Johnson and Wells, Brother Hatfield and others, for the truth of what I have said. I have said this to let my friends know that I am right.

As I grow older, my heart grows tenderer for you. I am at all times willing to give up everything that is wrong, for I wish this people to have a virtuous leader, I have set your minds at liberty by letting you know the things of Christ Jesus. When I shrink not from your defense will you throw me away for a new man who slanders you? I love you for your reception of me. Have I asked you for your money? No; you know better. I appeal to the poor. I say, Cursed be that man or woman who says that I have taken of your money unjustly. Brother Babbitt will address you. I have nothing in my heart but good feelings. (5)


Footnotes:
1 - Faulring, Scott (ed.), An American Prophet's Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith: Joseph Smith Diary, 1844, http://amzn.to/jsdiaries
2 - Fillerup, Robert C., compiler; William Clayton Nauvoo Diaries and Personal Writings, A chronological compilation of the personal writings of William Clayton while he was a resident of Nauvoo, Illinois. http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/clayton-diaries
3 - Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1801-1844, ed. Elden Jay Watson (Salt Lake City: Smith Secretarial Service, 1968).
4 - Anderson, Lavina Fielding, Editor, Lucy's Book: A Critical Edition of Lucy Mack Smith's Family Memoir, 2001, Signature Books, http://bit.ly/lucys-book
5 - The Woodland Institute, http://www.woodlandinstitute.com


LDS History Timeline
About this site: http://bit.ly/mhist

7 comments:

  1. The 4th work cited in your footnotes is "A Critical Edition of Lucy Mack Smith's Family Memoir," by Lavina Fielding Anderson. But her book says says "In the RLDS edition of the 1853 Pratt Biographical Sketches, an unsigned footnote reads: 'The course that Brigham Young and the Twelve with him took after the death of her sons Joseph and Hyrum, was not approved by Grandmother Smith. She always spoke in kindly terms of the men, but steadily and persistently refused to give credence to the doctrine and policy adopted by them. In this she did not waver to the end of her life' (chap. 37). Lucy’s grandson, Joseph Smith III, was one of the three men who prepared this work for the press and therefore either wrote or approved this note. Its content is no surprise, given Joseph III’s intense antipathy to any suggested link between plural marriage and his father; but there is also no evidence of which I am aware documenting that he or anyone else ever discussed the topic with Lucy before her death in 1856."

    So where did you get this?

    "[Lucy Mack Smith] In a public discourse, "Joseph Smith denied specific rumors [about polygamy] but did not deny that he had had a revelation on plural marriage and had begun that practice. Afterward the Expositor published details of the revelation, but again the Prophet said nothing publicly to refute it" (R. L. Anderson, "Joseph Smith's Final," 331n12).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find any book by R. L. Anderson titled "Joseph Smith's Final," and what does 331N12 mean?

    Is that suppose to be pg. 331, note 12?

    And what's the complete title of the book? "Joseph Smith's Final" what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came from Lavina Fielding Anderson's book in her chronology under the date May 26, 1844 -- viewable here: http://signaturebookslibrary.org/?p=9858

    The note refers to "Joseph Smith's Final Self-Appraisal" In The Prophet Joseph: Essays on the Life and Mission of Joseph Smith, edited by Larry C. Porter and Susan Easton Black, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1988.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.

    So is it page 331, note 12?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have the book?

    Is there a note on page 331 that matches your citation.

    (And is the book still in print, and can I get it?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a copy of the book -- so I'm not sure. And I don't know if it is still in print.

    I reproduced Lavina Fielding Anderson's chronological entry for this date -- which includes the reference we're discussing. I've never read the book.

    ReplyDelete