Mormon History, Oct 14, 1849

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 14th Sunday I had A meeting with my friends & family in the morning. I confirmed sister Shuah Moulton. We had a good time.
At noon two Strangites Called upon me Mr Shem-mings And A man from Michigan. He wanted to debate the Claims of Mr James J Strang to lead the Church. I told him I Considered my time flung away to spend 5 minutes talking with him upon the subject. There had more than A dozen men risen up since the death of Joseph risen up to undertake to usurp Authority to lead the Church & govern the affairs of the kingdom of God when Neither the Lord nor the Saints had called them unto that office And I felt that I had sum thing of more importance to attend to than to spend my time in debating against the pretending Claims of such men.
I met the saints in the afternoon & had A good meeting.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment