Mormon History, Oct 26, 1848

At a Council in the Recorders /o/ffice. Present[:] B[righam]. Young, O[rson]. Pratt, [Wilford] Woodruff., J[oseph]. A. Kelting., T[homas]. B[ullock]. B[righam].Y[oung].[:] The Temple Lot in Jackson Co[unty]. is in the cs /hands/ of heirs of bro. Gatridge /Partridge.'-/ [A] man offers [$]300. for [the] Quit Claim Deed'-[and] bro Kelting will turn out the [$]300.'-[T]he Land was deeded to Martin Harris'-[but] he has not put the deed on Record.'-[S]hall we advise Sis Partridge over the mountains[?] Kelting'-Pearson will turn it out for me'-Ill do this.'-[Y]ou can take the Cattle & Wagons'-2 Wagon, 5 yoke of Cattle,'-[and] 6 Horses. B. Y.[: M]y object is to get the old Lady over the mountains. [S]he wants 1 W. 2 yo[kes] of Cat[tle]s, Groceries, & Provisions, [but] what shall we do[?]'-I want Council.'-Iwonder if we care any more for the Records than they did in Hancock Co[unty]. W. W. Kelting'-Peasa [Pearson] is determined to have it'-either from the Heirs or [from] Martin Harris. B. Y.[:] Kelting can settle his family here.'-[G]o there & take the money'-& so help Sis Partridge over [the] Mountains [and] let all the heirs sign it.'- K.'-P[earson]. says he will have it'-if it costs /$/1.000.'-[H]e was settled near us, [he] was our friend & is now dept. to have it. [I]t is said to be worth [illegible handwriting]. without law'- B. Y.[:] I want you [to] start right strait & send the teams up.'-[T]he Ox teams are at St. Jo.'-[S]end a man there with an order to bring the teams up'-then the Woman [to] go down [and] sign the deed'-& you go strait on.'- K.[:] That wo[ul]d. ans[we]r.'-I co[ul]d. have sold the Cattle there at Linden.'- W W[:] I am satisfied myself.'- O. P.[:] I dont think it makes any par[ticu]lar diff[erence]: B. Y.[:] Theres nothing ag[ain]st. the girls gett[in]g. a good fit out & going over the mountains.'-[I]t does not rake a particle of diff[erence]. 216 O. P.[:] 'I give my Council for it to be done.' W. W.[:] 'Well, it wo[ul]d. be mine under those circ[umstanc]es.' K[:] Then were 60 add[ed] in the 1st place'-sold ints to Mr. Harris. [H]e wrote to Independence that he had sold that land.'-[B]ut there are no deeds [that] have ever made their appearance.'- H C. K came in. B. Y.[:] What is your feeling ab[ou]t. [the] bid Partridge claims &c[?] H. C. K.[:] I see no more impropriety than in selling o[the]r. Church Lands.'-[I]ts been done in Jackson Co[unty]. & Nauvoo.'-[I]ts under a broken Cov[enan]t. any way.'-[T]he L[or]d. wont consider it valid & I dont any way.'-[I]n council it was decided not to dispose of it'-from some statement made'-dont you remember it[?] B. Y.[:] Yes Sir.'- K.[:] Perhaps that p[er]son did not rem[em]ber the sit[uation]. of the Land.'-[D]id they [k]no[w] that [Martin]. Harris held the Warrantee Deed[?]'-I know it.'-[I]t was turned over /to M[artin] H[arris]/ for money's advanced to print the B[ook] of Mormon.'-[I]f the Warrantee Deed is recorded now it is not good for any thing.'-[T]he heirs have a many years to redeem it'-[for] it is out next August.'- H. C. K.[:] I see no impropriety myself.'-[T]hat man may as well hold it as any body else. B. Y.[:] Thats the wa[y] I look at it'-I hate to leave the old Lady behind.'- K.[:] Pearson is going to Pot: Nation'- H. C. K. I motion you [to] go ahead. W. W.[:] I second it.'- B. Y.[:] You've given your vote'-he gives his now'-I am willing they sho[ul]d. help themselves.'-[A]ll who are willing they sho[ul]d help themselves say yes. All said Yes. 217 1849 Note: '[T]he Quorum's minutes from 1849 to 1883 were destroyed when the Council House was destroyed by fire in 1883. Apostle Franklin D. Richards attempted to reconstruct those minutes from his personal journals' (Eric Paul Rogers and R. Scott Glauser, 'The Kirtland Temple Suit and the Utah Church,' Journal of Mormon History 30, no. 2 [2004]: p. 97, n. 37). From the materials below, evidently not all of the Quorum's minutes were destroyed.

[source: Minutes, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1910-1951, Privately Published, Salt Lake City, Utah 2010]
[Minutes, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1910-1951, Privately Published, Salt Lake City, Utah 2010]

No comments:

Post a Comment