Mormon History, Oct 23, 1848

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 23d I spent the day visitng the saints. I Conversed much with Elder Jarius Sandford. I felt strongly impressed by the spirit of the Lord to ordain him to the office of high Priest And Patriarch. The spirit also manifested to me that He was of the Loins of Joseph through the linage of Ephraim and before I left him I ordained him to the office of High Priest And Patriarch on this twenty third day of October AD 1848 He being 85 years 10 months & 2 days old.
He has also done much good to the church. He paid into the hands of Elder Satine $267 dollars for his tithing And $163 for Sarine own use, And $17 dollars to E. T. Benson. Has given $700 dollars in all to help the Saints And for Tithing. He gave W Woodruff $3 to pay his fare &c &c. I left the old Patriarch rejoicing in his God.
I then Called upon Smith Tuttle. Spent the Afternoon.
Went to New Haven in the Evening. Preached at Sister Vinings And Baptized & confirmed 3 persons. Spent the night at Sister Vinings. 8 mile.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment