Mormon History, Jul 16, 1848

[Brigham Young Sermon] President Brigham Young said the items of business that I have to lay before the brethren are to take into consideration the propriety of dividing the large companies into companies of fifty. My company, he continued, is so large that my teams that travel in the rear loose from 2 to 3 hours every day from feed and they are failing, and was my company broken into 4 companies it would give an equal chance to all. The scarcity of feed will naturally require it. Secondly we want to send 3 men to the valley with a mail. I have furnished a horse and a pack mule and fitted out John Green to go, and Brother Kimball has fitted out Ben J. Rolf. Now another man and horse is wanted. Whereupon Cyrenan Taylor volunteered his services with his horse. He was accepted'- President Young said, Brethren, with regard to preaching while on this journey, I have but little to say to this people. They as a general thing are men of understanding and if they will live up to what light and knowledge they have and cease to do evil I will warrant every individual safe into the kingdom of God, the unbeliever not accepted, for there is no man but what has more or less of the light of Christ, for he is the light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world and this is according to the revelations of Jesus Christ in me. Now, brethren, my council to you is to cease to do evil and do good for every man will be judged by his works. It is not the good, righteous, sanctified feelings that I have that will present me or any other man blameless and acceptable before the Lord, but it is the good that we do to one another. Though the companies be divided, let brotherly love and kindness abound. Esteem it a privilege to help one an other that you may have your reward. This is the course that I have taken all my life and when I appear before the Lord I shall say, Here, Lord, am I and my works, do with me as it seemeth thee good. And then the Lord will say, Inasmuch as you have done good all the time I will do good to you all the time. I confess my own faults. I am subject to temptation and as liable to do wrong as any other man and when I suffer myself to get out of the way and say anything that is derogatory to the character of a man of god holding the priesthood, I feel ashamed of myself and look upon myself with as much [blank] as any other man can look upon me. I know what is right all the time. I am never at a loss to know what is right, but sometimes I do not think or I am not guarded against the tempter. -- Chimney Rock, Nebraska [DJL 58-59]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses]

No comments:

Post a Comment