Mormon History, Feb 2, 1844

-- Feb 2, 1844
[Joseph Smith Diary] Friday, February 2nd At home. [several lines left blank] 7 [P.M.] eve Dr. Richards called and read Phinehas Richard's appeal to the inhabitants of Mass for redress of M[iss]o[uri] difficulties. [several lines left blank]

Prayer meeting at Br[other] Young's. W[illiam] W. Phelps and wife [were anointed]. [several lines left blank] Cold. (1)

The endowed quorum meets for prayer and sealing ordinance work. (2)

The first child conceived with a plural wife is born, George Omner Noble. (2)

Polygamous child

The first known polygamous child, George Omner Noble, is born to Joseph B. Noble and Sarah Alley. They were previous married by Joseph Smith in a known polygamous marriage. ( Quinn, Origins, p 642 ). (3)

-- Feb 3, 1844
[Anointed Quorum] Sunday evening prayer circle meeting "over the Store," Joseph Smith not present; anointing and endowment for Joseph Young, Jane A. Bicknell (Young), and William Clayton (cf. Willard Richards diary, LDS archives., 12 Jan. 1845). (4)

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] Feb 3d 1844 I walked into President Joseph Smith Store or office over the store & spent a few moments in conversing with Elders W Richards And Wm. W. Phelps & President Joseph Smith Came into the room & Said he had a dream & related it to us which was as follows:

+ I was standing on a peninsula in the midst of a vast body of water whare their appears to be a large harbor or a peer built out for boats to Come into. I was surrounded by my friends & while looking at this harbor I saw a Steem boat approaching the harbour. Their was bridges on the peer for persons to cross & there came up a wind & drove the steem boat under one of the bridges & upset it. I run up to the boat expecting the persons would all drowne. And wishing to do sumthing to assist them I put my hand against the side of the boat & with one surge I shoved it under the bridge & righted it up & then [I] told them to take care of themselves. But it was not long before I saw them starting out into the channel or main body of the water again. The storms were raging & the waters rough. I said to my friends that if they did not understand the signs of the times & the spirit of Prophecy they would be apted to be lost. It was but a few moments after when we saw the waves break ov
er the boat & she soon founderd & went down with all on board & perished.

The storm & waters were still vary rough. Yet I told my friends around me that I believed I could stem those waves & storm & swim in the waters better than the steem boat did & at any rate I was determined to try it. But my friends laughed at me & told me I Could not stand the storm at all but should be drouned. The waters looked Clear & beautiful though exeeding rough, & I said I believed I could swim & I would try it anyhow. They said I would drown. I said I would have a frolic in the water first if I did & I dove of into the raging waves.

I had swum but a short distance when a towering wave overwhelmed me for a time but I soon found myself on the top of it & soon I met the second wave in the same way & for awhile I struggled hard to live in the midst of the storm & waves. But I soon found I gained upon evry wave & stemmed the torrent better & better & I soon had power to swim with my head out of water so the waves did not break over me at all & I found I had swam a great distance & in looking about me I saw Br Samuel by my side. I asked him how he liked it. He said first rate & I thought so to. I was soon enabled to swim with my head & Sholdiers out of water & I Could swim as fast as any steem Boat, & in a little time it becaim calm & I Could rush through the water & ownly go in to my loins & so[n?] I ownly went in to my knees & finally could tread on the top of the water & went almost with the speed of an arrow & I said to Samuel see how swift I can go & I thought it was great sport & pleasure to travel with
such speed & I awoke.

What the interpetation of the foregoing dream was the spirit of God or time must determin.

[ ]

In the evening of this day the quorum met at Joseph store. Brothers Wm. W Clayton & Joseph Young met with them But I was not present. Elder Kington Came after me with a waggon to go to his house & hold a meeting so I took my family & rode 6 miles across the prarie in the storm & spent the night at his house. Joseph Young & wife & Wm. Clayton Received their 2d Endowments &c. 6 mils. (5)

William Clayton, Joseph Smith's personal secretary, and Joseph Young, brother of Brigham, together with their wives receive their second anointings in the room over Joseph Smith's Store in Nauvoo. Clayton writes, "was permitted to the ordinance of washing and anointing, and was received into the Quorum of Priesthood. This is one of the greatest favors ever conferred on me and for which I feel grateful." Two and a half months previously Clayton had written that he thought Emma Smith "had power to prevent my being admitted to Joseph's Lodge" in the mean time had asked Joseph, in writing, for admittance. (6)


Footnotes:
1 - Faulring, Scott (ed.), An American Prophet's Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith: Joseph Smith Diary, 1843-44, http://amzn.to/jsdiaries
2 - Hales, Brian C., Joseph Smith's Polygamy: History and Theology, 2 vols., Salt Lake City: Greg Kofford Books, 2011 (www.JosephSmithsPolygamy.com)
3 - Tungate, Mel, Mormon Polygamy, http://www.tungate.com/polygamy.htm
4 - Quinn, D. Michael, The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power, Signature Books, 1994, Appendex: Meetings and Initiations of the Anointed Quorum, 1842-45, http://amzn.to/origins-power
5 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
6 - Advent Adam website (defunct) - based on http://amzn.to/originsofpower


LDS History Timeline
About this site: http://bit.ly/mhist

No comments:

Post a Comment