Mormon History, Oct 20, 1849

[Brigham Young Sermon] Brethren expect to hear me speak, but busy and feel like going to bed more than going to meeting. Anticipate spending a happy winter. I feel the peace that rests upon the valley, and saint and sinner who approaches him say that it is a peaceful place. The spirit of peace rests here , are a blessed people, an every thing around us; comfortable. How blessed we are. Father Halliday brought us in 16 '1/2 bushels of wheat, the 10th of the increase on one bushel of wheat, brethren look at this. Italy. The cream of the earth never produced such a thing. 33 bushels of potatoes was brought in to us as the tithing on 1 bushel of seed potatoes. Brethren, I hear when the vision of the mind is presented before any individual, they see things right before them, which will transpire 100's or 1000's of [-] year after. I should not ponder if we got in to Jackson County before we anticipate. I'll report that the committee on the poor [-] have gathered 500 and upwards and its been done with less hard labor than to raise $50 in Joseph's day, and they are coming in with it still, and will appoint one man to receive. We give the poor a fit out, and when they come out there they earn fit out; and this is an increase, it never goes down it's the greatest machine I ever saw got up among the Saints. Don't care about [-] good man. Don't know if I have any character when people speak evil of you. Then be glad. The time to get up and complain is when all speak well of you, as Parley did lately. I mean to monopolize the labor here. The Council House walls finished. I have monopolized all the good things of the earth for those who will work for us. I have the right to monopolize. Don't mean to see the laborer with thin torn old things out at the rags. I have maintain myself, I never got a dollar in tithing; I part in price, the amount ever I received make we sent off tithing moneys. The other day I had to be credited 3,000 but as to the future, I don't care. Brethren let me get that store house, help me. We'll have plenty to feed you. We'll have a Nauvoo House here by and by. We'll have good meeting here. Seventies wake up. Levi is present. Joseph is not here. Seventy meet as often as once in while. Excuse me I've business to do tonight yet. -- SLC Bowery [Thomas Bullock Minutes, LJA; Thomas Bullock—LDS Church Reporter, 1844-56.C, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah.; GCM, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah..; General Church Minutes. Selected Collections from the Archives of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints DVD 1 (2002)]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses]

No comments:

Post a Comment