Mormon History, Oct 14, 1849 (Morning)

[Brigham Young Sermon] I say but little to the brethren yet I trust I shall see the time that I can lift up my voice and talk without injuring my health. It is a good time for me to suggest to the Elders of Israel - who can hinder the humble saints from obtaining all the blessings in store for them him. Brother Spencer's views are good and I would have been happy to hear him tell them out - no man on the earth can hinder me from all the blessings I live for - no being in heaven desires to clip me of my blessings and no being on the earth or in the depths of hell can. I may take Brother Spencer and all men in this house, that love virtue and righteousness - whose sole object is to bring salvation to the House of Israel and set one on my right and another on my left - bring them together they don't all think alike - their judgment is not equal and they will be at variance with each other - you may take a High Priest or any man and they say if you don't do as I tell you I will curse you - you will see them buying and selling and exchanging one with another - I ask you, did you ever hear me curse any person? If it was me they were cursing - I would say curse away - all these things pertain to the world - just let your judgments and the Spirit of God dictate you. I curse not an Elder of Israel or any good man - and if you don't curse even the wicked, they will get it pretty hot some day - if I had not a face like flint - you would not have me with you - I defy the Elder who can produce more charity and love than Brigham. If I was the wife of one of those Elders going away - I should say get out of my way - if you will follow the Lord - I will follow you - and if we are not together in the body - we will in the spirit any how - but if I did not love him, I would say the Lord cares nothing for you - the devil cares nothing about you - and you may stop here - if you threaten to curse your family for not obeying your council, take care, your judgment may be wrong - and if your opponent does the right - it will rebound upon you - you have the world, the flesh, and the devil to grapple you - and look out that your pate? does not feel it, instead of your opponent - the increase of the power of the Almighty will increase as the church does - and that is not all - the power of the devil will advance also until the great battle. My voice in the voice of inspiration to you - you will see miracles that you have not yet seen. I want to back up Brother Spencer's exhortation, about the dilatory habit of the people in coming to meeting. -- SLC Bowery [Thomas Bullock Minutes, LJA; Thomas Bullock—LDS Church Reporter, 1844-56.C, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah.; GCM, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah..; Leonard J. Arrington Papers, Special Collections, Merrill-Cazier Library, Utah State University, Logan.. (A reference reading LJA 12-55-5, 10, means LJA Series 12, Box 55, Folder 5, page 10.) 9-12-5, 52-53]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses]

No comments:

Post a Comment