Mormon History, 1846

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] And thus another year has past and gone into eternity and has bourn its report to God of me and all other men. I still live upon the earth with my brethren the Twelve while many of my brethren have been called into the eternal world. Whatever I may have done or left undone not pleasing in the sight of my Heavenly Father I ask God my Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ his Son to forgive me and give me grace according to my day during the year to come and give me power and a disposition to do good all the days of my life be they few or many and to save myself and household and all committed to my charge.
One year ago this night I was in Liverpool England but this night finds me in the midst of the Camp of Israel, at winter quarters in the Omaha Nation in the wilderness in the land of Joseph surrounded by the Lamanites who are poor wreched and miserable and have been so for many generations in consequence of the sins of there forefathers According to the prophesies of the Prophet Lehi we have been rejected by the gentiles on this land or continant even the land of Joseph. And the gentiles have shed the blood of the Prophets and Patriarchs JOSEPH & HIRAM And others and have sought the lives of the Apostles and Saints and have driven us out of their midst and thereby have rejected the Kingdom of God with the keys, oracles, & revelations thereof which we have taken with us, which remain with us this day in the Camp of Israel.
And my prayer to God is that they may remain with us and our Posperity through all time and through all Eternity and that the same blessings may spedily go to the Lamanites and that 1847 may not pass Away untill the Lamanites with their Chiefs may begin to recieve the gospel which the gentiles have rejected and cast out of their midst and that the Lord will spedily deliver us entirely out of their [p.107] hands and Avenge the spilt Blood of the Prophets And that they may cease to spoil and be spoiled and that they may feel the chastning rod of the Almighty And know there is a God in Israel.
AD. Has been a day of the sacrafice of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Through the fatigues and labours & exposers of the Saints many have been laid in the grave. I have myself been called to part with two of my sons which God hath given me. They lie in the dust untill the resurrecton. And I came nigh being killed by accident by the fall of a tree which broke my breast bone and three ribs. But through the great goodness of God I was preserved and have recoverd and still live for which I feel to render the gratitude of my heart to my Heavenly Father.
And I pray my Heavenly Father to lengthen out my days to behold the House of God stand upon the tops of the Mountains and to see the Standard of Liberty reared up as an ensign to the nations to come unto to serve the Lord of Hosts. I Pray that my Brethren the Twelve may be preserved to esstablish Zion upon the mountains of Israel and lead the camp of Israel to a land of Peace, health and safety. All these blessings I ask God my Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ and by virtue of the Holy Priesthood AMEN.
..
During the year AD 1846 my time has not been occupied in preaching in the vineyard and building up Churches, but I left the field of my labours in Liverpool England at the begining of the year. Since that time I have Crossed the Atlantic And traveld the bredth of the United States, gathered my friends and many of the Saints out of the gentiles and Joined the Camp of Israel in there Journeyings to the wilderness and passed through all the trials privations and sufferings attending such a Journey and the responsibilities and cares upon the Twelve are daily increasing.
1846

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment