Mormon History, Jul 3, 1846

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 3d At 10 oclock Br Pratt returned in company with Br Benson who had been nominated to fill the place And wear the Crown of John E Page. They wished me to return to the Bluffs with them. So I saddled my Horse & started And had an interesting time once more with Br Parley.
And to add to the interest of the days ride we passed through the main village of the Potawattame Indians the first time I ever passed through A large village of indians in my life.
After viewing the village & indians awhile And drinking out of A cold spring we continued our Journey. We rode untill dark then unsaddled our Horses And we made our bed in the grass on the side of A Hill. But the Musketoes soon routed us out And we had to go to the top of the Bill And again lay down & spent the night in the wind. I felt quite stiff & sore in the morning.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment