Mormon History, Thursday, December 11,1845

in History of the Church, 7:543-44.
In the order of Endowment, a list is made out the day previous, of those who wish to take their endowments. Every person is required to wash himself clean, from head to foot. Also to prepare and bring a good supply of food, of the best quality, for themselves and those who labor in the house of the Lord. In the latter about twenty-five persons are required in the different departments to attend to the washing, anointing, blessing, ordaining, and sealing. From twenty-five to fifty persons are passed through in twenty-four hours.
I was among the first to receive my washings and anointings [on December 11, 1845], and even received my second anointing [on January 14, 1846], which made me an equal in the order of the Priesthood, with the right and authority to build up the kingdom in all the earth, and power to fill any vacancy that might occur. I have officiated in all the different branches, from the highest to the lowest. There were about for
ty men who attained to that order in the Priesthood, including the twelve Apostles and the first presidency, and to them was intrusted the keeping of the records. I was the head clerk; Franklin D. Richards was my assistant clerk. My office was in room number one, at President [Brigham] Young’s apartments.
I kept a record of all the sealings, anointings, marriages and adoptions.
I was the second one adopted to Brigham Young. I should have been his first adopted son, being the first that proposed it to him, but always ready to give preference to those in authority, I placed A[lbert]. P. Rockwood’s name first on the list. I also had my children adopted to me in the Temple. Brigham Young had his children adopted to himself, and we were the only ones, to my knowledge, that had our children so adopted at the Temple at Nauvoo [Illinois]. As time would not permit attending to all the people, the business was rushed through day and night. [John D. Lee,Mormonism Unveiled; or The L
ife and Confessions of]

[source: Devery S. Anderson and Gary James Bergera, Editors, The Nauvoo Endowment Companies, 1845-1846: A Documentary History (Signature Books), http://www.amazon.com/Nauvoo-Endowment-Companies-1845-1846-Documentary/dp/1560851872]
[Devery S. Anderson and Gary James Bergera, Editors, The Nauvoo Endowment Companies, 1845-1846: A Documentary History (Signature Books), http://www.amazon.com/Nauvoo-Endowment-Companies-1845-1846-Documentary/dp/1560851872]

No comments:

Post a Comment