Mormon History, Jan 9, 1842

-- Jan 9, 1842
Joseph Smith writes that the covered wagon carrying Willard Richards and Lorin Walker, while traveling on icy roads, "slipped and capsized and fell off the side of the bridge, 5 feet descent. Broke the carriage, some on the top and the fore axletree which we soon spliced . . .and agreed that Liburn W. Boggs should pay the damage." (1)

Nauvoo, Illinois. Joseph Smith attended the marriage of William Moore Allred and Orissa Angelia Bates in the house of Elder Orson Pratt. (2)

-- Jan 10, 1842
[Polygamy] Smith says an angel with a sword has visited him three times about polygamy. Faithful member Mary Elizabeth Lighner publicy stated: "Much has come and gone from me through the powers and vicissitudes of this Church. I have been in almost every mob. I have been driven about and told I would be shot and had a gun pointed at me, but I stayed with the Church until it was driven from Nauvoo. The words of the Prophet that had been revealed to him always have been with me from the beginning to the end of the gospel. Every principle that has been given in the Church by the prophet is true. I know whereon I stand, I know what I believe, I know what I know and I know what I testify to you is the living truth. As I expect to meet it at the bar of the eternal Jehovah, it is true. And when you stand before the bar you will know. He preached polygamy and he not only preached it, but he practiced it. I am a living witness to it. It was given to him before he gave it to the Church
. An angel came to him and the last time he came with a drawn sword in his hand and told Joseph if he did not go into that principle, he would slay him." "Well," said I, "don't you think it was an angel of the devil that told you these things?" Said he, "No, it was an angel of God. God Almighty showed me the difference between an angel of light and Satan's angels. The angel came to me three times between the years of 1834 and 1842 and said I was to obey that principle or he would slay me. "But," said he, "they called me a false and fallen prophet but I am more in favor with my God this day than I ever was in all my life before. I know that I shall be saved in the Kingdom of God. I have the oath of God upon it and God cannot lie; all that he gives me I shall take with me for I have that authority and that power conferred upon me." SOURCE: Testimony of Sister Mary Lightner, Address to Brigham Young University, April 14th, 1905, BYU Archives and Manuscripts, see also http:
www.ldshistory.net/pc/merlbyu.htm (3)

-- Jan 12, 1842
William Clayton Appointed to assist Willard Richards as temple recorder and as scribe to Joseph Smith. (4)

-- Jan 13, 1842
Nauvoo, Illinois. Joseph Smiths clerk Willard Richards commenced boarding with him. (2)

-- Jan 15, 1842
Nauvoo, Illinois. Joseph Smith commenced reading the first American stereotype edition of the Book of Mormon to make a few corrections for the second stereotype edition that had escaped notice in the first printing. (2)

[Lucy Mack Smith] Joseph spends time correcting proof for new edition of the Book of Mormon. (5)

[Polygamy] Smith and Young propose to young woman to enter in polygamy. Martha Brotherton, a young Nauvoo woman, was allegedly approached by Brigham Young in Joseph Smith's private office. "Were it lawful and right," Brotherton reported Young as saying, "could [you] accept of me for your husband and companion? . . . Brother Joseph has had a revelation from God that it is lawful and right for a man to have two wives; for as it was in the days of Abraham, so it shall be in these last days . . . if you will accept of me, I will take you straight to the celestial kingdom." Brigham then left the room and returned ten minutes later with the Prophet. "Just go ahead, and do as Brigham wants you to," Brotherton reported Smith as saying. "I know that this is lawful and right . . . I have the keys of the kingdom, and whatever I bind on earth is bound in heaven, and whatever I loose on earth is loosed in heaven." Martha noted she begged for time to consider, then left for Saint Louis, wh
ere she published her story in the 15 July 1842 St. Louis Bulletin. PLACE: Joseph Smith's private office, Nauvoo, IL SOURCE: St. Louis Bulletin, 15 July 1842 (3)

-- 16Jan42
[Joseph Smith Sermon] Preaches on Romans 5:20 (6)

-- Jan 17, 1842
Joseph Smith takes eight-months-pregnant Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner as a plural wife. Mary Elizabeth, age 24, has been legally married to non-Mormon Adam Lightner for over six years at the time. She continues to live with Adam Lightner afterward as instructed by Joseph Smith. Mary Elizabeth later states, "Joseph Said I was his, before I came here. He said all the Devils in Hell should never get me from him." (1)

Council of 12 opposed to Ebenezer Robinson's publishing The Book of Mormon without being counseled to do so by the first Presidency [per Brigham Young]. (7)

[Polygamy] to 27 Jun 1844 Marriage - Joseph to Mary Elizabeth Rollins, age 23, already married. In a sworn affidavit, Mary Lightner said, "Joseph said I was his before I came here and he said all the Devils in Hell should never get me from him. I was sealed to him in the Masonic Hall, over the old brick store by Brigham Young in January 1842 and then again in the Nauvoo Temple by Heber C. Kimball." (Original sworn affidavit owned by Mrs. Nell Osborne of Salt Lake City, February 8, 1902). Mary also admitted her marriage to Joseph Smith in a public address. She said in part, "I am the first being that the revelation was given to him for and I was one thousand miles away in Missouri, for we went up to Jackson County in 1831 ..... I went forward and was sealed to him. Brigham young performed the sealing, and Heber C. Kimball the blessing. I know Joseph Smith had six wives and I have known some of them from childhood up. I knew he had three children [by his plural wives]. They tol
d me. I think two are living today, but they are not known as his children as they go by other names." (Mary Lightner,1905 Address, typescript, BYU, Pg. 2-3) PLACE: Nauvoo, IL SOURCE: FamilySearch.net record for Joseph Smith Jr. (3)

-- Jan 20, 1842
[Black History] John C. Bennett comes out in favor of abolition, (8)


Footnotes:
1 - This Day in Mormon History, http://www.advent-adam.com/jakestand.html
2 - BYU Studies Journal, volume 46, no. 4: A Chronology of the Life of Joseph Smith
3 - Joseph Smith Polygamy Timeline, http://www.i4m.com/think/polygamy/JS_Polygamy_Timeline.htm
4 - Smith, George D., An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, p.lxiii, A William Clayton Chronology
5 - Proctor, Scott and Maurine Jensen, editors, History of Joseph Smith by His Mother: Revised and Enhanced
6 - The Parallel Joseph, http://www.boap.org/LDS/Parallel/
7 - Tidd, N. R., "Mormon Chronology"
8 - http://www.xtimeline.com/events.aspx?q=Bif200802111550260291166


LDS History Timeline

About this site: http://bit.ly/mohist

No comments:

Post a Comment