Mormon History, Mar 17, 1848

[Hosea Stout Diary] Frid March 17th 1848. Today was rather an unfavorable day for me. This faultfinding spirit was now raging to a great extent & Strodes Store was now all the time filled with those dissatisfied persons who were all the time railing at the authorities & upholding the course which Strode had taken towards us and in fact deprecating every thing that was right and righteous untill I had become sick & tired of it & so was every good man.
Yet I had not come out against them so pointedly but what they supposed I had friendly feelings for them. This morning I stoped in at the store where several of these persons & two of the police were argueing the case of Strode warmly. Upon entering the store I resolved to let them know my opinion which I soon had an opportunity to do, whereupon several were mad (i.e.) S. C. Dalton Bartlett & Isaac Hill and after a volley of abuse & low scurrilious insults from Hill Dalton & Bartlett wanted me to explain myself which I did partly to which they said I was right but Hill continued his abusive language towards me. I claimed to be heard thro but he continued. I had resolved to put a stop to the course things were taking at the risk of my life & being highly inflamed or rather enraged at the mean course of Hill I "Lit upon him" determined to stop or kill him. We had a short scuffle when I got him across the counter and had him secured choked untill he could not breath intending to hold on peaceably as I was but was parted by John Lyttle which put an end to the matter now
After this "flare up" was over the police came together & we told Dalton & those who wer concerned that we would put an end to their course or end their lives. After this I never heard another murmur out of any of them.
In the afternoon I recieved a note citing myself W. J. Earl & John Bills to appear before Jos Young & the First presidency of the Seventies this evening at earley candle light to answer charges against us by I. Hill for assault and bettery, for profane swearing & other unchristianlike conduct.
We had the privilege to have it tried before the Council.
I forgot to mention that Earl & Bills were the two policemen in the store.
We met for trial and there not being Presidents sufficient for a quorum it was turned over to the Council who were assembled also. In the trial S. C. Dalton swore t a most positive and wilful lie as was proven on the spot in saying I used profane language.
President Young gave us all a first rate dressing out after which the Council decided that we should stop all further difficulties &c which we did
This was a final end to all further Strodeism & so far all was well. I was never sorry for what I done & I now know that good came out of it

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment